What should the BCS formula be?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Indiana Tiger, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

2. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

Q: The BCS is still trying to figure out its system now that the AP poll is out. Considering there won't be a playoff, how should the BCS be configured?

A: This is like spending time trying to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Best. . answer. . ever. . .

Zemek's points suck though.

Sure, in a perfect scenario, that'd be GREAT to have as the most realistic shot of nailing strength of schedule. But not ever going to happen. And he's in favor of margin of victory, pah. . .

I like a combo of Fiutak and Harris's ideas:
    1) Strength of schedule with some sort of sweetner for winning on the road
    2) Leave the Computers in – The only tweaking here is to ensure that each of the computers is using a similar formula/algorithm such that 0 and 11 Twinkie State is not ranked 13th in the Dell Sheridan poll.
    3) You must win your conference to play in the national championship game
    4) Force all conferences to have a championship game
    5) Make sure voters in remaining poll are doing their due diligence every week

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

AP Poll Rank + Coache's Poll Rank + 1,000 points for any team with the colors Purple and Gold with the mascot of a Tiger and cook the best jambalaya.

I think that's only fair...

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

What if the number one and number two reams in the same conference are ranked one and two in the final BCS poll? What if a team doesn't win it's own conference but only has one loss and all others except one team have 2 losses? The chances of these scenario's may not be great however ione of them will probably happen as soon as they pass a rule saying you have to win your own conference in order to play in the NC game.

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

16 team playoff, bcs conference champs (who get the automatic top 6 seeds for playing in real conferences) + at large from anywhere based on selection committee. Set up an RPI type rating for teams, calculate strength of schedule... Committee uses these and records to help them decide the at large teams. Just like with basketball, there will be people b*tching about not getting selected, but hey, nothing is perfect. Those who dont make the playoff go to bowl games.. an NIT of sorts.

2004 playoffs teams...

Pac10 - USC 1
    SEC - Auburn 2
    Big10 - Michigan 5
    Big12 - Oklahoma 3
    Big East - Pittsburg 6
    ACC - Virginia Tech 4

At-large
    Utah 10, Cal 7, Texas 9, Louisville 15, Georgia 13, Tennessee 14, LSU 11, Iowa 8, Miami 16, Boise St. 12

6. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

Wow, that's reaching huh? I agree that I'm sure both would happen the same year if no rules are put into place for it though. . . :hihi:

You have to figure it'd be a virtual impossibility for the no. 1 and no. 2 final BCS teams would be from the same conference if every conference had a championship game. Even in the unlikelyhood that the no. 1 BCS team had such a statistical headstart that they only fell from no. 1 to no. 2 with a loss in the championship game, they wouldn't have won their conference.

The second theory is much more likely I think but it's much for me to wrap my mind around right after lunch. . .

I don't like the committee idea at all. Basketball and football are completely different. It wouldn't work imo. But if that's what it takes to get to a playoff, whatever.

7. marcnbc

marcnbc Founding Member

Whatever formula they come up with they should matchup 1 vs.8, 2 vs. 7, etc. in the BCS Bowls. Then have a semifinal the following weekend, followed by the NC game the week after(2 extra weeks & 3 extra games...the kids probably would even have started the spring semester by then). I don't care if you've got 3 teams from the same conference or not. 8 teams is the max that I'd go with a playoff format, so that the importance of the regular season would not be diminished(16 teams is too many IMO).

8. Seabriscut

Seabriscut Founding Member

I totally agree with this one ^^^

We have a winner...

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I say, leave the sportswriters out. They are just as prejudiced as coaches. They vote for who they see. Schools in Los Angeles get seen a lot more than schools in Norman OK, Auburn AL, or Baton Rouge LA.

Make it a 100% computer ranking and make Strength Of Schedule a major factor. Keep tweaking the mathematics until it is right. Forget margin of victory. All conferences must play a championship game and only the winners are considered for the NC game. Undefeated independents will suffer from having one fewer win in the percentages--too bad, they didn't risk a defeat in a conference championship game.

Go objective, not subjective. If Nobody U. happens to go undefeated and also has a higher SOS, then they go to the big game instead of Hollywood U., There should be no reward just because some sportswriters are more familiar with a team.

And if three or four teams finish with the same record AND the same SOS (unlikely) -- then have a two week, four-team playoff.

10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The key is that if you win your (bcs) conference, you are in.. you have a shot at the title game... everyone else... impress the committee.. win your conference and some big non-conference games...