What should we do about Fallujah and Najaf?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jetstorm, Apr 27, 2004.

?

What action should be taken in Fallujah and Najaf?

1. Continue current course of action; while not pretty and not quick, it will win out for us in the end

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Completely withdraw from the cities and seal them off with a seige, starving the thugs out

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Take them both with a direct frontal assault, fighting block to block, house to house if necessary.

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Give all civilians 48 hours to evacuate, disarm them as they cross the perimeter, then call in the B

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. No evacuation, call in tactical nukes, let Fallujah and Najaf serve as an example of what happens to

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. Abandon the cities, as a prelude to our complete retreat from Iraq

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Other (please specify

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

This is really freaking me out, the higher ups think we can win this war just by our technology alone but we need to take the gloves off.
    I agree with all of you, this is rediculous, we are trying to look "good" to the rest of the middle east by not getting the job done the way it should be done.
    I'm sick and tired of our troops being a sitting target for these radical Homicide bombers.
    Why can't we protect our people and checkpoints better?

WE Need to just kick some :cuss: ss

2. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Don't want to be repetetive Red, but, golly gee, sounds like Viet Nam to me!!!
    Your heroes are running this debacle. When are you guys gonna wake up and see the light? I mourn for every parent or wife who is burying their child or husband in a needless grave.

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

That seems to be similar to what I read about what some of the Marines in Fallujah were saying during the "truce" except they were not as negative about political decisions since it was an interview. They wanted to finish the job. While I am a Bush supporter I have had no problems disagreeing with how Fallujah has been handle. I say once the politicians have given the military a clear objective (and they should make it clear) they need to sit back and let the military get it done like they have been trained.

4. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

Let me get this straight...are any of you guys who are saying to bomb these towns the same ones who support the war because it brings democracy?

Sounds to me like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth...

1. "The war is successful because it brings democracy to innocent people"
    2. "I don't care how many of them have to die"

Those two don't go together. If you're willing to make statements about not caring how many Iraqis have to die, than any statements about wanting to bring democracy to these people are just hollow.

Not every country is like the U.S. Iraq isn't overrun with civilians who carry guns. Those people in those towns are part of a large-scale hostage situation and they are absolutely defenseless.

Bombing those towns is not the answer. You'd kill tens of thousands of innocent people (destroying two cities 15x older than the USA) and it would make the war effort WORSE elsewhere in the country.

I'm no general and won't pretend to be by saying what they should do. I trust men who have given decades of their lives to the armed forces to be successful.

A year ago I didn't really know what I thought about the US going to war with Iraq, but I understood that casualties are part of war. I hate hearing about more US soldiers getting killed everyday, but I remember that they're fighting against guys who just as willing to die for what they've grown up to believe.

In bringing democracy to Iraq, we're trying to reverse thousands of years of history in that region. It's naive to think that this would be quick and painless. Just look throughout history at what it took to bring democracy to different countries throughout the world including our own: wars, revolutions, governments overthrown.

This is a whole lot harder than a game of "Risk".

5. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

You again have to be joking. Hostage situation. defenseless.

This thread is about two specific cities and most discussion is about Fallujah. Wanting to take out one city that is in the heart of Saddam territory does not go against wanting to bring democracy to the innocents in Iraq.