What to do in New Orleans?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by IATigerFan, May 17, 2006.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Yep, but I wasn't the one to spill the beans and rat someone out.:lol:
    I sound like a little kid?:shock: :redface:
    Anyway I'm about 95% sure I'll be going home on the 26th.
    I need to go home quickly before more disasters happen and I get stuck
    somewhere else!
    Can't wait to see my kids!

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Actually, I think everyone would be interested in how you became an LSU fan. It wouldn't be boring at all! What to do in NOLA, eh? Well... It really depends on what you're into. As someone who visits NOLA frequently, yet is still intrigued by the city's charm, I would say to steer clear of Bourbon St. Of course it's one of those places you have to visit because if someone from out of town finds out you went to NOLA without visiting Bourbon St.... Well... You know. It's a little too sleezy for my tastes, but the French Quarter is a must visit. Just walking around is fun and you're sure to find something to pique your interests. If you have a decent sized group, I would deviate from the "main" streets and explore some of what New Orleans TRULY has to offer. i.e. NOT what the tourist industry thinks what's best. The Faubourg Marigny District is my absolute favorite place in New Orleans. It is filled with history and if you like music--it's the place to be!!! As a jazz musician (percussion and piano) I can tell you that it's the hot-spot as far as true, local talent goes. Now, if you're big on big acts--steer clear. For the most part this is amateur music, but that does NOT mean it's bad. The night life around Frenchman St. is pretty electric if you're into young and/or hip doings. If you're an ulta-conservative, though, it is probably the most liberal part of New Orleans, if not the State and the entire South in general. So, if you're like most Tiger fans here, I'd steer clear :yelwink2: . But if you don't mind seeing two guys holding hands or two chicks hugging, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it. If you want more info on certain clubs and restaurants, PM me... I can go on for awhile, but if it's not interesting you, there's no point, right?

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

As usual, I agree with JayB.

4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Is Preservation Hall open again? Its next to Pat O'Briens, and good old time jazz in there.

In Pat O'Briens, go to the piano bar, have your hurrincane and drink and sing along. Most fun I've had in years. If you don't know what to request, request 'Dixie', and you'll have a treat. I hate to say this, but "Rocky Top" has to be the best get drunk and sing type song ever invented. These are better after 2 hurricanes.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Yes.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I was at Pat O's last night. It was a blast. There was a good amount of people on Bourbon St, but I kind of expected more.

7. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Your posting priveleges should be revoked for a statement like that.

:hihi:

8. IATigerFan

IATigerFan Tiger Fan in Iowa

JayB - thanks for the great info. I know without a doubt that we are planning on spending at least one night exploring Bourbon St. Your recommendations about Frenchman St. sound interesting though - it certainly sounds like something our group would be up for! What are the best clubs there to hit? Do you happen to know if all of that is within walking distance of downtown? I'm not at all familiar with where things are at so forgive me if that is a dumb question. For Iowa folks, we are not anywhere near as conservative as our state's reputation would imply :thumb: I would love to hear some of jazz but I'm not sure what the other members of the group think about that...

As far as your other question about how I became an LSU fan - well, this is going to sound silly but it was the colors that originally attracted me to them. You see, growing up, my father and older brother were huge Celtics fans so to be different I had to be a Lakers fan - well, as everyone knows their colors are also purple and gold. So - I was somewhat drawn to them by that but what ultimately sealed the deal was the 1981 basketball team that came out of nowhere (relatively speaking) to make it to the Final Four. Then came the Shaq and Chris Jackson years, LSU track back when they would come to the Drake Relays here in Des Moines, Stromile Swift, DiNardo and Tepper :shock: , Saban, the National Championship :crystal: , etc... I know I skipped a number of years in there but my loyalty was there all the time! So - while it seems strange as to how my allegiance was built, one should not question where my loyalties are! As I said in one of my earlier posts, I've never stepped foot on the campus but I'm hoping that in the next year or two, I'll actually be able to experience the thrill of a Saturday night football game!! Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that my wife grew up in Florida and is a Gators fan :angryfire , my son is a Gators fan because of his mom :bncry: , but my daughter is definitely a Tigers fan :thumb:

Oh yeah - thanks to everyone else for the suggestions to this point too!

:geauxtige