what will a firestick do?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by jvalhenson, Jan 5, 2017.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

So in the Christmas gifts thread and the cutting the cable cord threads there is lots of talk of the firestick. As much as I do not like it we have 6 freaking TVs in my house and currently have uverse which I rarely watch its pretty much just so the kids can watch their cartoons and I can watch sports mainly. Anyways.....we have been throwing around the idea of getting the firesticks and doing away with TV service if it gets the kids everything the wife wants them to have and the few things we watch.....I am as close to technology illiterate as you can be and still function so in plain idiot terms what does a firestick do, what can we watch with it if it is jailbroken(whatever that is), and what else would we need to know about it? I have a few friends who know all about this stuff who say they can jailbreak it for me but I never understand what the hell they are talking about. I tried the google too but I dont really understand much of what I found on their either. I get that it is basically a media player to allow internet content on your TV but that is where my understanding stops. So anyone want to give me the idiot version of what all the firestick will do and what I would have to do to use it? I would not think I would get 6 of them was thinking more like get 4 and move one between the other TVs that get watched much.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

We have a long thread going on cutting the cord and the firestick may not be for you if you end up going the cord cutting route. Let me find it and link it for you.

3. bhelmLSU

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

You can go to Amazon and check the reviews / questions as well. There are over 1000 answered questions

5. bhelmLSU

And if you are going full cord cutting you will likely want to stay away from sticks for the most part. Maybe for a TV you use less often and want to save money. If you decide you want to go amazon then a Fire TV is the way to go. Amazon does allow for the jailbreaks and I assume your buddy is referencing adding additional channels that are not preloaded and sponsored by Amazon. One channel is Kodi which offers a bunch of free stuff that shouldn't be free.

6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I'll make it easy for you. Since you live in my hometown and I'm there regularly, buy the FireTV, text me and I'll come over and hook you up.

But you are going to have to take me and the boy fishing. The offer is on the table.

MLUTiger likes this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

What chu talkin Bout willis

8. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

ha ok might do that. this is the wifes thing so i am giving her all the info. I think we may just get one firestick for my daughters room since hers is the only one without uverse in it right now and see how it goes with that one. If its good might go to it for the whole house. regardless we can do some fishing at some point anyways. I have been dreaming about flounder lately. Was looking the other day at the tides hoping for some good ones I was gonna through on some hip waders and go give it a shotbut the tides are high at night for quit a while. Didnt get to flounder much last year with the tides wind and weather so hopefully this year is like the year before last was.