What would Saban do if we were interviewing other coaches?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Jan 10, 2004.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

You know everyone is putting a TON of stock into what this idiot at ESPN has reported. Keep in mind this guy is NEVER right he has already had to back track on his Atlanta and Giants pick.

Is it possible that maybe Saban out of respect to his friend listened to what he had to say ???

Like everyone else, I am pretty sick of the Saban to the NFL rumors EVERY f'ING year. I am tired of it. We just win the National Title and all you hear about is Saban to the NFL this Saban to the NFL that....
    OU does not deal with the, USC does not deal with this. No one deals with this but us.... Its the same f'ing story every year.

I dont want Saban to leave, if he does. I will almost be thankful that we can actually enjoy the fruits of our season one year without having to deal with this in the media and on Internet chat board.

HOWEVER, I think we might want to cut Saban a little slack. 90% of what ESPN and those other idiots report are false. Read some of Len Pasqewhatevers previous articles. He is about as Accurate and the Iraqi information ministry.....

SO before we buy this guy hook line and sinker lets see what Saban does, take the man at his word until he otherwise lies to us...

He deserves it dont you think ????

Fightintiger I was not referring to you in this post by they way. Just my 2 cents.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I see your point, and its very valid.. I to am a bit frustrated of having to deal with this EVERY year......

I hope he stays, but if he leaves I am at the point now where at least we can quit wondering and move on....

THis club is on the mountain top, now it needs consitency and stability. This is not stability...

3. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

HC Stability is easy to get . . .

You want HC stability at LSU?

Hire Lou Tepper as your LSU football HC. Nobody will ever try to steal your coach. This I promise you.

:geaux:

:lsug:

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

FightinTIGER, you are 100% correct, he never promised us anything.

Texastigers, OU has dealt with this every year till this year and when you have a coach that at least one NFL team is going try and get every year then you better get used to it or quit reading the paper and internet for as long as Nick stays. When NFL teams want someone they are use to getting him and can't believe that they would be turned down so they will keep on trying forever.

I'm sure Skip has a very short list of who he would want to interview just like Foley had when Spurrier was there. He said in an interview yesterday that he knew way beforehand who he wanted to interview way before Spurrier resigned and that is why they were able to hire Zook so quickly, whereas the Nebraska AD didn't evidentally. And I'm sure Foley had some conversations with an intermediary just to see who may be interested and such. For Skip to actually conduct an interview with anyone would touch off a frenzy even if they met in Zaire. I am also sure that he will know before anyone else of Nick's intentions. While LSU is an equal partner in this I would not even think of doing anything that would screw up the situation with Nick. Remember, plenty of coaches have had the opportunity to do what Coach Saban has done in the past 45 years and failed, many miserably.

5. LSUChicageaux

LSUChicageaux Founding Member

I largely agree with the sentiments expressed here - while I certainly do not want Saban to leave, it is a business relationship.

We owe it to Saban to let him explore other options, if he chooses - it is certainly within reason. But by the same token, he owes the fans and the university a degree of certainty...that is, dealing with this crap every year, he MUST decide to either interview and get on with it, or say he's not going to interview and cease the rumors.

The rumors persist because he hasn't expressly indicated in the last few weeks that he isn't interested. From a business standpoint, I feel that is an obligation from him.

He teared up at the trophy presentation about the fans and the state and the pride, well - the least he can do is let us know if he wants to leave all of that behind. And frankly, the reason why.

Living in Chicago is no treat now, because of the a-hole Bears fans I work with won't shut the hell up about him. The papers and that pontificating S.O.B. Jay Mariotti won't stop slobbering over him. If this is going to be an annual occurence (the speculation), then I would wonder if there shouldn't be a clause in that new contract specifically addressing this kind of thing. If an NFL rumor comes up and you aren't out of your contract and are going to stay anyway, you shoot it down - FAST.

I just want an answer. And I want Jay Mariotti to shut the hell up.

6. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I am not saying this is wrong, but it really is because of Saban that this goes on every year.

After each year if he really wants to stay at LSU, while I know he cannot control the media, he can stop his agent from contacting teams. He can stop meeting with teams like Jacksonville and when it does not go well come back and say he has no interest in the NFL and BR is his home not realizing that his meeting would get leaked out. If he had no intention of accepting the Falcons offer he could just say no to a meeting versus scheduling one. He can also stop saying this is the beginning not the end before the Sugar Bowl and then switch to he "hopes" that this is the beginning not the end after the Sugar Bowl. I also thought his comments about LSU's first contract were a little disrespectful considering it was the offer before the Sugar Bowl that Skip wanted to give him win or lose (although I heard he was extremely tired looking when he made them). These are more than negotiation ploys.

Kirk Ferentz is a great coach with NFL coaching experience.
    But this year no one is putting him as a candidate because he closed the door unlike Saban.

It is not that I think Saban is wrong if he wants to coach in the NFL, but I think we do have to be realistic in where the reporters are getting their information. Just because Saban has not gone to the NFL in past years does not mean he has not been aggressively seeking out potential jobs but more that he has not had the right offer yet.

7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I agree with most thoughts on this thread. If we owe it to Nick to explore other options, LSU should be able to interview other coaches without Nick getting the feeling of being unappreciated. I for one, would sure as hell hope Skip would have a plan B already set in his mind, because the year in, year out Saban to the NFL stories are BS. I feel JF would get the nod almost instantly if Saban decided to go the the Bears. I would like to see Nick get a few more championships at LSU, but at the same time, we are just hearing almost the exact same words MSU heard before he left for LSU.

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Nick doesn't bleed purple and gold!!!!

He's a highly sought after coach who will Leave LSU sooner
    or later..

Thats why I think Spurrier is the only choice and if he wants to
    leave this might be the time to do it.

I don't want him to leave but he will probably sooner than we
    think.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Re: HC Stability is easy to get . . .

Ugh! Don't even JOKE about that!

10. Lost Tiger fan

Lost Tiger fan Freshman

Are you spermier's brother or something??? That thought makes most of us want to PUKE!!!