What would Truman do in this situation

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, May 12, 2004.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

First of all I don't take litely what we did to Japan to end WW II.

I think it was a horrible decision that Harry Truman had to make and I'm sure
    it was hard for him to live with at times but I think it was the right one.

I say if there ever has been a time that we needed to set off a couple of good ole fashioned atomic bombs it would be today.
    I would set one off in Fallujah, and 2 in the biggest cities of sponsered terrorist states like Syria and Iran.

We need to send a serious message but unfortunately our government isn't up to the task IMHO.

What would happen if Truman was president today and he released atomic bombs on a country?

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have never had the slightest doubt that Truman made the right decision to nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It was estimated that a million or more Americans would have lost their lives during an invasion of Japan. Truman saved those lives by vaporizing a couple of hundred thousand Japanese. One of the lives saved was possibly my father who served aboard a United States Navy destroyer in the Pacific theater at that time.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Most of the world is already upset at America for what we are already doing, can you imagine the crap we will have to hear if we nuke them? I'm not saying that we should act based on what people will think of us, but that's something to consider. Also, America can't go setting a bad example nuking everybody when we don't even want other nations to have nuclear weapons. If America were to launch a nuclear bomb, it could have much more serious reprecutions than we would expect. Other nations would quit hesitating about dropping there's, and the dreaded nuclear fall-out that was once a serious fear could become a reality.

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

We wouldnt have to use Nukes. and why would we care what the rest of the world thinks? What are they gonna do? make us stand in the corner? write 100 times on the board, I will not Nuke thrid world countrys harboring terrorists? com one man get with the 21st century. hell they couldnt do **** back when we bombed Hiroshima what makes you think they can now? The only reason they are giving us a problem now is our weak stance in the last dozen or so years. We should have crushed these people back when they first bombed the World Trade center.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Truman would certainly use a nuclear weapon on a nation we were at total war with. I doubt if he would use it on a conquered and occupied country, full of our soldiers and contractors, that we have pledged to rebuild and establish as a democracy. It's the wrong tool for the job.

Whatever Truman decided, it was his decision and he would take responsibility for his actions. "The Buck Stops Here."

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

First of all,
    And also, international relationships are very important in today's global economy.