What would you do to Tiger Stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerKid05, Apr 5, 2006.

1. DocBrooks

DocBrooks Founding Member

This thread has me worried that TS maybe nearing the end of the line. A lot of things it needs would just coast so much the powers that be might not think its worth it. I worry that if they ever do build a new stadium its going to be some new fangled erector set looking steel job like most newer stadiums. It'll have a more pro feel, which I hate. I like our concrete monolith enough to say go ahead and sink a crap load of money into it and keep her going for another century.

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

good idea only i think we should fix them up and put the visiting team in there for the before the game. then schedule big parties around the stadium on friday nights.

3. DocBrooks

After some thought I do agree with those that say enclosing the south might not be great. However, I do think TS will need another expansion (not quite as drastic as those in the past, but nonetheless. Anyway, so I would propose the following.

1. Increasing the length of the partial wrap around the south on both sides. I don't mean coming all the way around, just a bit more. This would allow for more seating up top, increase the number of luxury boxes by a little bit, all while not diluting the seat prices, or having too many extra seats on those crap OOC game days. Also, in the future, the luxury box levels could eventually wrap all the way around, it would be a more low profile addition, one that braught in money, and didn't add more potentially empty seats.

2. Also, and of course I did no market research for this, but I think there is a good sized niche for a bit more affordable boxes. Boxes that not just big shots can afford but for special group occaisions.

3. Also maybe add one more section to the uppers in the north direction. It wouldn't cover up too much of the north facade and would add the same benefits outlined earlier. This is just a guess, but I imagine that would bring the capacity close to about 100,000 which I think would be suitable for LSU, a great milestone for the stadium, and would make those big SEC matchups even louder and more accessible to those who don't have season tickets and out of towners who want to come in for the game but are unsure whether they'll even be able to get a ticket.

4. I guess I'd consider TS done at that point. Other than renovation work on the dorms and original sidelines, I guess I too would like the facade power washed and the arches put in on the south side.

Anyway, my $.02... any comments, suggestions?

4. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

5. DocBrooks

Nothing what? no comments suggestions? or were you replying to a different post?

6. GetBackToWork

GetBackToWork Founding Member

An aspect I dislike about all the additions has been the shift away from the stadium as a functional building. One of the more characteristic elements were the dorm rooms and such with windows. To me it is much more impressive than seeing merely the backside of metal or concrete bleacher frames.

Having freshmen live in the stadium was a great tradition. I have often thought they could easily rent out Tiger Stadium with a renovation job. If the comment about the asbestos is true, what a shame.

7. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

1. Pressure wash Tiger Stadium.
    2. Replace all the windows with the dark tinted ones.
    3. Renovate all restrooms
    4. New PA system (although I hear its loud in the south endzone)
    5. Replace field and make it like Virginia Tech's. (Underground vaccum)
    6. I think Tiger Stadium should show all of our retired football jerseys (Billy Cannon) like the PMAC and Alex box.
    7. I think fans(wind blowing ones) should be set up inside of every portal.
    8. Replace entrances into stadium with more appealing ones.
    9. Put Mike the Tiger on a leash and not in a cage outside of the opposing teams tunnel. :hihi:
    10. Replace all of the bleachers in the north and south endzone
    11. Replace chain link fence in north and south endzone.
    12. Bring back the L-S-U TIGERS around the stadium cheer before the game ( I always loved to hear the "U" part of that cheer. Ditch 2 bits.
    13. And last but not least, Always have a camera on the golden girls.

:geauxtige

8. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Well, I was answering the question posed by the title of this thread -- What would you do to Tiger Stadium? My answer -- nothing. Why mess with it any more? Now that the West Upper is finishing completion of renovation, there is not much more that needs to be done now. While I am all for having a great stadium, I don't like how some universities continue to tinker with their stadiums. I like Tiger Stadium the way it is, dirty concrete and all.

9. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I know Tiger Stadium may need some work... but I wouldn't want it to become like Soldier Filed in Chicago, where the Bears play. After they renovated it a year or so ago, the fans and players of today and the past said that it had lost nearly all nostalgia. I really, really wouldn’t want that to happen to the greatest stadium ever built. I mean, yeah, do the absolute necessities, like fixing the bathrooms or darkening the windows, but keep it at a minimum. I LOVE that stadium. I grew up around that thing. It's like a temple or something.

10. JerryOdom

JerryOdom Founding Member

All the concession stands become beer stands and people can drink in the stadium.