What would you do to Tiger Stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerKid05, Apr 5, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The next major renovation will require replacing the entire lower bowl. Parts of it are over 80 years old and ramp areas are dark and damp because they are enclosed by the decrepit old stadium dorms. There are conduits and pipes exposed everywhere. Water stands deep in places during rain games and the restroom and vending spaces are inadequate.

There are some structural issues regarding the life left in the rusting rebar inside the concrete supports. A day will come soon when it will simply have to be replaced. If so, I say forget the cosmetic improvements to make it last a little longer and make the complete replacement happen a little sooner. The new upper decks stand behind and are structurallyindependent of the lower bowl, so this has already been facilitated.

These sideline seats pay $500 bucks a year in surcharges and the only nice new areas are in the fat-cat zones in the upper decks. These important sideline fans will be demanding better conditions soon.

2. The Gov.

The Gov. Founding Member

1. Like most of you said i would make the whole stadium open so that you can walk around with out goin in and out of the stadium.

2. Cushion seats kinda like the ones down close to the field.

3. Paint visitor lockerroom "pink" or some horrible color.

4. Make the old dorms into like a sports bar or something for all the big supporters so they can keep sending money to LSU.

5. Display big jerseys for past great LSU players.

6. I think it would be a good idea to put a big 6 story parking for all the season ticket holders that was connected to the stadium.

3. GetBackToWork

GetBackToWork Founding Member

What's with getting rid of or tinting out the windows?

Leave the classic aspects of our stadium alone. Once that stadium is screwed up by some modern renovation, there's no going back to fix it. I'd hate to see Tiger Stadium turned into some soulless place marred by too much ad space. As it is, they got rid of the "Death Valley" sign for ad revenue. What's next, billboards where the windows once stood?

4. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

First thing I'd do is gut the old dorm rooms. (Very expensive though because of the cost of removing asbestos). Convert a number of thos dorm rooms into party rooms for pre and post game parties. Also, take a section and remodel them into low cost hotel rooms. "Sleep in the Home of th Tigers!" This would obviously include replacing the windows. Replace the rusty fences ins the stadium with nice rubber-coated purple or gold fencing. Paint the flagpoles, they are hideously rusted - and put purple and gold ones on the north side. Landscaping - do a visual improvement to the outside areas. Repaint the aisle aisle markings and portals with matching paint that won't fade. Better lighting inside the stadium - and thoroughly clean the inside. I think some of the disgusting stuff has been there since Doc Fenton was at LSU.

5. red55

There is a plan to do this, but I don't know if its been implemented. Six-floor walkups are not really appealing to the people with the cash to buy a game party room.

I'd actually prefer that they demolish the dilapidated old dorms. It would let in a lot more light and air to the dark ramp areas and would allow room for additional concourse, restroom, and concession areas.

6. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I love the stadium. It really is a neat thing to see when you walk by it everyday. There is a lot of history in that place and I'm a history guy. I think that bathroom changes are necessary. Also, I'm in agreeance with those who wish the stadium was accessable through anywhere. I hate how you have to go into particular gates and all that. The sound system needs a little work as well. Maybe some newer, easier to see jumbotrons. Other than that, why mess with history??

7. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

you know, they do use a lot of the old dorms right now for storage, offices, and even an art studio on the southside. so, theyt could be renovated without much fuss i believe.

8. GetBackToWork

GetBackToWork Founding Member

Tear that down? You know that is our stadium's history and reason for its original existence? So many alums once lived there during their first year in college, and a special bond existed. You should talk to them. Remove those, and our stadium becomes just like any other piece of modern construction, lacking in character and history.

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I liek the weekend apartment idea for the old dorm rooms. Some renovations, etc etc to make that happen. I would think of taking it one step farther. Some sort of luxury apartments/condominiums that are inhabitable year round.

Then I come to my senses.... I think of one idiot forgetting something on their stove and burning the whole darn stadium down. (ok so it would not be that bad with all the concrete but ya get the idea)

10. red55

Every structure has its time and its time to go. I lived in Old Graham Hall as a freshman and it was demolished last year to make way for new student apartments. Kirby-Smith won't last much longer either. We can't preserve everything and we can't stay stuck in the 20th century. Have you seen the old stadium dorms lately? They have been allowed to deteriorate badly since the students left decades ago. It makes the stadium look bad and there is plenty of talk on other SEC boards about what a "dump" Tiger Stadium is even when they praise it for its atmosphere. Much of that "dump" image comes from the delapidated condition of the old dorms.

If they are to be kept they MUST be renovated, especially the rusty old windows replaced, but they really need some brick veneer over the old dirty concrete walls, too.

What I worry about is drunk Tiger fans tumbling down 6 flights of stairs and sueing LSU. I think the costs of putting an elevator in each block of dorms plus the extreme costs of adding air conditioning to them will eventually make this plan a bust.