What would you do to Tiger Stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerKid05, Apr 5, 2006.

1. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Red - I agree about the flights of stairs, but if LSU was to implement "party rooms or suites" or even do the "lower cost" rent rooms (lower than Lod Cook) then I'm sure that elevators would have to be integrated in the plans. I don't know the ins and outs of the ADA law but I'm sure LSU would have to comply with it for any "new" construction.

My belief and I don't know it to be true, but I imagine that one of the many reasons for "deterioration" and letting the rooms just sit is because of the cost of removing asbestos. When I was at LSU, I worked in Sports Information and our office was on the second floor of the Northeast Corner of the stadium. We used to have to go through a women's restroom, walk around the stadium, then out to the elevator (old manual one) then up to the press box to bring all our stuff up to prepare for gameday.

The rooms could actually I think be used for something like pre- or post- game parties if fixed up. LSU could charge folks to use the room and part of that is also the stipulation that you have to go through LSU for food and drinks. The ideas I have thought about I'm sure the folks at LSU have thought of as well. The obvious issue is money - with so many other facilities taking priority as far as upgrading is concerned, this is something that LSU would have to plan and set money aside for in the future. And even then LSU would have to want to spend money to gamble on making money, and I don't know if it's a risk they deem worth taking.

2. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

The idea that the university could make money by renovating the dorms into football party rooms is ludicrous. You would need significant year round (365 days) average occupancy rates to make something like this pay off. 8 games ain't gonna cut it even if there wasn't an abestos problem. It will take a hell of lot more than a can of paint to fix that place up. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost was over $200/sq ft to renovate and furnish.

3. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

I know the upper decks are independent, but are the press box, hospitality suites, and club seats independent too? I ask because I really don't know.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yep, all are integral with the new upper decks. The old press box was part of the lower bowl, but it is history.

5. DocBrooks

DocBrooks Founding Member

I too have a question regarding the fact that the uppers don't physically touch the lower bowl. I have heard, and this maybe just a silly rumor, that because of that fact, the uppers are exempt from the NCAA rule regarding alcohol and that it can be purchased in the uppers. The only time I was ever in an upper was the east side this year. However, it was for one of the Saints games :dis:. I was actually in a box and they certainly had alcohol for sale down there. I went up the ramps a bit to walk around the unwashed masses :yelwink2: of the cheap seats and I can't remember if they were serving beer though. I realize this was NFL and the rules are different, but is their alcohol in the uppers because they are technically (legally) not considered part of TS?

Keep in mind I heard this from someone who I didn't really know too well but is a pretty big fan, so I figured it's plausable. Also, I can imagine the boxes may have alcohol, just not the seats. IS that possible?

6. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

No. The alcohol was for sale because it was a NFL game.

7. Geaux5000

Geaux5000 Founding Member

I would bring back the welcome to death valley sign

8. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Since I haven't been there for a number of years (sadly), I don't know the actual physical condition of the stadium. However, the one thing I have always thought would be great to have, and it would alleviate the asbestos problem, is to turn the old dorm rooms into mausoleums! What Tiger fan wouldn't want to be buried in Tiger Stadium? You could turn the first floor dorms into the party/hotel rooms and then make all the others into burial chambers, putting Tiger fans together in the afterlife in what would be their favorite place on earth! You wouldn't have to worry about the asbestos 'cause you're already dead! Nobody would have to worry about tending your grave thereby negating maintenance costs and saving your family money. LSU could sell a space for a couple grand, putting 5-6 coffins in each room and raise enough money for lots of projects. It's a win-win situation for all involved! I'd be first in line to buy a spot!

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nope. But being separate structures did help when they were being financed by TAF.

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

1. Put arches on South endzone ext. (like someone else mentioned) --Make it uniform.

2. Needs a good pressure washing (again, like someone else mentioned)

And not that there's anything "simple" to correct this, but can someone shed some light on why lower bowl isn't exactly proportionate?? The south endzone is sorth of squared off, where the north endzone is a smooth curve to form a distinct "U"???