Whatever happened to the Cookieman?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerjeffrey, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

That's good to know. I always liked him as a player. Sharpest elbows in the SEC.

2. greydog

greydog Freshman

2/11/78...LSU 95 Kentucky 94

Center court, fourth row, aisle seat. Got in line at 2:00 that afternoon. After that, it got earlier and earlier.Same seat every game through 1980-81 season.

2/24/80...Kentucky 80 LSU 78...all night on the Assembly Center ramps...Sunday at noon...national television...Dick, Al and Billy...for the SEC title...Macy's shot at the buzzer...Cook's phantom 5 second call just prior

3/2/80...SEC Tourney title revenge...Scales goes wild...ice storm in B'ham limited attendance to 7,000...then Scales goes pro

80-81...26 game winning streak...Bowie hacks Howard Carter on last shot in finale in Lexington but no foul...Tigers end up 17-1 in conference

Best team in the country 2 years running...1979-80 and 1980-81, yet somehow Dale always found a way to screw it up.

3. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Re: 2/11/78...LSU 95 Kentucky 94

Yep, I was at that 1980 LSU-Ky game, 6th row center court. Yeah, we camped out on the ramp, that was pretty wild. When the Ky team arrived at the Assembly Cntr to practice the day before, we all ran over and harrassed them, and Sam Bowie good-naturedly grabbed his crotch in response. Kyle Macy ... what a little annoying robotron perfect little white boy guard, but boy could he shoot. Standing on the tops of the seats the whole game, screaming. Cookieman holding the ball on one hip in four corners offense, waiting for them to play man. Macy hits the shot at the buzzer in OT, you could hear a pin drop afterwards. Scales dominates SEC tourney championship game, and if I'm not mistaken no other than Jumping Jo-Jo "Strang Music" Dean did the post game interview, to which the Astronaut responded to the comment, "DeWayne, you had a great game," with, "Well yes, I did!"

I went to the regionals (that year?) in Houston, beat Mizzou, lost to Louisville, went to regionals in Superdome, beat Ark and Wichita St, but did not get silly in Philly. Awesome times.

4. Geaux Girl

Geaux Girl Founding Member

Howard Carter works in Baton Rouge with BREC. I saw him at the Farr Park horse barn. He said he had played in Europe. He was very nice and humble when I kept saying, "Wow, HI-C! I can't believe I'm talking to Hi-C!":geauxtigs

5. setx-tiger

setx-tiger Freshman

ya'll are bringing back some great memories . . . . i was in the basketball band in 80-81, and 81-82. Got a wild bus trip to Philly for the final 4! anybody remember the band guy who hit the half-court shot in Steve Deitzel's car give-away contest? Yours truly.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They didn't call him High C for his leaping ability if you know what I mean.

7. TulsaTimeTiger

TulsaTimeTiger Freshman

2/24/80 LSU-Kentucky game Question

I was at the Kentucky game too...that was a wild one, although certainly a heartbreaker in the end. Was the USA "Miracle on Ice" game being played at the same time? Or was it the game after when we had to beat the next team for the gold...don't remember

I remember a lot in the PMAC shouting USA, USA

8. LSU Engineer

LSU Engineer Unnamed Source

What about Clarence Ceasar, Bernard Woodside, Darryl Taylor.

9. geauxgirl80

geauxgirl80 Freshman

O.K. I asked my boyfriend who was at LSU during those years. He said that when LSU has Ethan Martin (point guard), Howard Carter (shooting guard), Greg Cook (center), Rudy Macklin (forward), he can't remember if Mitchell was the other forward, but he says Sims was the best 6th man in the NCAA, LSU was supposed to win the title in '81 but was upset by Indiana and lost the conselation (sp?) round to Virginia who had a big guy named Ralph Sampson (like well over 7 foot). He also said that Dwayne Scales signed with the Knicks (left early) but never really materialized in the NBA. Since I was like just born when all this happened, is this accurate? If not, let me know so I can give him some real heck! :D

10. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Darryl Taylor?? I mentioned Derrick Taylor, he was great. Smart kid but flunked out one semester b/c he was addicted to playing Pac-Man and didn't study hard enough. Caesar was a good player, but by then the team seemed to be losing steam. Randy Livingston and Rickey Henderson ... what a (potential) combo, what might have been if Randy had not injured his knee, he was never the same. Bernard Woodside was basically a bricklayer but did play well in the 1987 tournament run. Other favorites: Rick Mattick, John Tudor, Jay Brian Bergeron, Ernest Brown. Some guys who didn't live up to potential: Johnny Jones, Ray Borner, Fess Irvin, Tito Horford.