What's for dinner??

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by lsubatgirl04, Nov 27, 2006.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Italian Chili. Made a big pot tonight.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Seafood buffet was OK but not great. Over $20 with tip. This morning I went there for breakfast:
    Two waffles, about 5 strips of bacon, a small OJ (from concentrate, not squeezed) and coffee. The waffles were not made there but were some kind of Eggo style you put in a toaster. Almost $15!!!!
    What the hell is going on there? That place used to be not cheap but reasonable for good food. Another place I have to scratch off my list

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Pork chops were BuyOne-Get One Free at Albertsons. I fried one in an iron skillet and ate it with rice and gravy and a tossed salad. I managed to screw up the gravy. Just didn't taste right.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

For some reason the price of hamburger meat has skyrocketed but last night I saw and ad for Hi Nabor that had ground beef for $1.99 a pound. I don't live near a Hi Nabor but it might be worth a trip if I were to buy a lot and freeze most of it

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I think those Alberton's buy one get one free deals might be a scam. Recent they had a pork loins buy one get one deal. The thing is that for just one in a common size was about $23. At the same time at Winn-Dixie they had pork loins where about the same size for just one was about $10, so by buying 2 at Winn-Dixie you would save about $3 over the Albertson's true cost

6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Winn Dixie is the one with the high prices. At the WD in Covington on Hwy 21, their prices (on the things I by regularly) are about 25-30% higher than Rouses on Hwy 22 or Albertson's on Ronald Reagan Hwy. Granted, the WD is a very nice store, but it ain't that nice!

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I do 90% of my grocery shopping at the Matherne's on Highland Road. Better prices than Albertson's or Winn-Dixie on most of the things I buy and its in my neighborhood and there is almost never a long line at the checkout counter. I'm not much of a wine drinker but for those who are they have a great selection and reasonable prices

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

The Winn Dixie in my hometown, back in the day, used to answer the phone, "Winn Dixie, you can't beat our meat." We used to call them over and over and hear that and laugh so hard we peed ourselves.

Yeah, that was a long time ago, no digitial shit, walked to and from school, both ways uphill. You know the drill! It was a good life, if you did not know any better.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I got three large, thick boneless pork chops for $4.50 and another three free. 75 cents a chop is not bad in my book. Tender, too. I microwaved a leftover for a pork chop sandwich at lunch and it was great.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Stuffed Pork Chop( Stuffed with Italian Sausage), Diced Taters and Buttered Corn

HalloweenRun likes this.