What's the deal with the high expectations for Auburn?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by STRIPES, Aug 3, 2004.

1. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

You are comparing Spurrier to Tubby?

2. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Saban vs Tubby.....

I love how you Aubies want to overlook 2003 when trying to compare Saban vs. Tubby. I guess it makes you feel better and aids your comparison to subtract the fact that Saban won THIRTEEN GAMES; AN SEC TITLE;
    & A NATIONAL TITLE IN 2003.

The fact is that 2003 HAPPENED. It really did.

In 4 years at LSU Nick Saban has 2 SEC Championships to Tubby's ZERO
    in 5 years at Auburn.

In 4 years at LSU Nick Saban has TWO 10 win seasons to Tubby's ZERO
    in 5 years at Auburn.

In 4 years at LSU Nick Saban has 1 National Championship to Tubby's ZERO
    in 5 years at Auburn.

In 4 years at LSU NIck Saban has been to TWO BCS Bowls and won them both to Tubby's ZERO at Auburn.

In 4 years at LSU Nick Saban has had TWO recruiting classes rated in the top 1 or 2 classes in the nation to Tubby's ZERO in the top 5.

In 4 years at LSU Nick Saban has won 39 football games compared to Tubby's winning 38 games at Auburn in 5 years.

When you compare Nick Saban's accomplishments at LSU in a 4 year period to Tubby's accomplishments at Auburn in 5 years, there is no comparison.
    Even if you subtract the success LSU had in 2003, which you can't, Saban was still ahead of Tubby in BCS bowl appearances, SEC Titles, and recruiting.

However, if you eliminate BCS Bowls, SEC Titles, A National Championship,
    top recruiting classes, and two 10 win seasons, Saban and Tubby are about the same.

3. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Sorry caddilacattack. Saban started in 2000. Plus our records were

2000 8-4
    2001 10-3
    2002 8-5

That is 26-12 ~= 68%
    Tubby was 21-15 ~= 58% his first 3 years.

Not that much different, but still, let's get it right and add in the bowl games... :)

Lets look at trends as well... The 4th and 5th years of Tubbavillain he went 17-9. I don't think that Saban will be 17-9 at the end of this year. :wink:

4. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

I think you missed the point. I'm not saying that Saban isn't a good coach. What I am saying is that his prior years at LSU (based on W-L record alone) did not indicate that 2003 would be a NC season. It was...congrats.

The point made is that everyone points at Tuberville's history (again, W-L record alone) and predicts more of the same.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

You're off a little there PT

CNS, as you guys would call him with that initial fetish you have, has only been at LSU since 2000.

So in 4 years he has won 8, 10, 8 and 13 games. I'll take that over Tubby's record anyday. And like Stripes says you cannot just dismiss last year, we won't let you.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

There are many that would point to 2001 as a step in this direction. By the end of that season he had LSU playing as well as any team in the country.

7. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

No, wesfau, YOU missed the point....

I guess Nick Saban winning 10 games, the Sugar Bowl, and an SEC Title
    in his SECOND SEASON at LSU wasn't a hint to you but to many it was a damn good indication of what Nick Saban was doing at LSU.

Regarding Tubby, going into his 6th year at Auburn, we are still waiting for
    him to accomplish what Saban did in his second year at LSU.

Oh, yeah, let's conveniently factor out 2003 because that certainly wouldn't help your argument at all.

8. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Easy fellas. I don't think the auburn guys meant to say Tubberville was superior to Saban. I don't think they think that anyhow. They present a valid point, however. How many of us would've predicted that, after the less than sterling 2002 season, we'd go to the SEC Championship, much less the NC game in 2003? I think wesfau admitted that, of course, that doesn't indicate that Tubby's gonna take them to the NC game. But I think he's right in saying that, well, you just never know.

Hope I didn't step on any toes.

9. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Thank god we have a translator. :grin:

That's exactly what I was saying. :thumb:

10. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Anyone who based opinions on LSU on the 2001 season.....

is naive. Whether fans of whatever school want to admit it or not, LSU
    was absolutely a beat up football team from mid-season on and had lost
    such "insignificant" players as Matt Mauck, Devery Henderson, Ben Wilkerson, LaBrandon Toefield, Damien James, and the entire defensive line was playing hurt.

Injuries are part of the game but when a team is decimated by injuries it is not the time to evaluate that particular team's capability. For anyone to choose 2002 as a benchmark for predicting anything while they are overlooking the obvious injury problem is slanted at best. The results of 2003 prove it.

By the way, I was not surprised at LSU's success in 2003. The National Title is always going to take a little good fortune to get there but I certainly wasn't surprised at LSU winning the SEC. It won't surprise me if LSU wins the SEC again this season.