What's the deal with the high expectations for Auburn?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by STRIPES, Aug 3, 2004.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

That's correct Atreus. I don't believe anyone's saying that CTT is at an equitable level with CNS or that AU will win an NC this season. In fact, I know of none that currently rate CTT on the same level with Saban and Richt. The point was that a "decent but not great" track record doesn't necessarily fit the profile of "the past predicts the future". We were simply indicating that Saban's progress was an excellent example of that. He had some decent-but-not-great seasons, then exploded onto the scene last season.

Just because some LSU fans feel CTT is a prick doesn't mean he's not a decent HC. If being a prick were a limitation, then Spurrier and Saban would never have been hired. And don't take this the wrong way. To some, being a prick (toughness/cockiness/overtly disciplined) is a positive attribute as far as athletic coaching is concerned. I can assure you that some of the finest athletes and coaches I've known are total pricks (Lou Holtz, Dan Marino, Bum Phillips.... to name a couple) but nonetheless superb producers.
    I'm not saying you need this attribute - there are many exceptions - I'm just saying it's not a limitation, IMO.

As previously stated, having stability in the staff is better than the alternative. Both programs have solid talent, great facilties , fanbases, and support. It's a matter of time for any program with those attributes, IMO.