What's your favorite LSU sport? Why?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Jan 27, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Just curious to see what all of you fellow Tiger fans like best. It's understood that we (LSU fans) love LSU athletics....

I'd have to go with :helmet: as my favorite. I won't say that I follow ALL sports (I'm not a big soccer, gymnastics or track&field buff--though I certainly appreciate the dominance that our track teams have). In the past, I've followed baseball and men's basketball closely--but nothing compared to my love-fest for football. Women's basketball and softball are 4th and 5th options respectively for me, but the interest has increased the past few years--shamefully, I admit it's due to each of their national success. :redface:

Football has always been a sport that I could, ever since I was probably 12 years old, name just about every player on the team. I feel that I'm more in-tune to happenings surrounding football, and feel that I'm an excellent "novice expert" :D.

Growing up (probably around 8 or 9), I wore my replica Tiger's jersey (white #82--Wendell Davis I presume, since it was a gift, with the stripes that wrapped COMPLETELY under the shoulders. I wore it till I literally couldn't fit it). I would demand that the neighborhood kids on my team all consider themselves "LSU Tigers" and insisted the other team be another college team--no professional team names. Or if no one was around, I would still put on my LSU jersey, grab my football (official college style) and go to the empty lot across the street from my parents house (that used to be our football field) and pretend I was Dalton Hilliard breaking lose against Alabama or Duhe laying a big hit (which I used to re-create using a haybail as the unfortunate opponent), knocking the ball lose for an LSU turnover as I would get up and mimic the PA announcement of "FFFFFFIRST Down--for the Tigers!!!!"

I even went to such lengths as to ask either my parents, or if there were any other bystanders, watch and when my own team of "LSU Tigers" made a first down, have the "crowd" sing the first down chant (must have been nerve-racking for those kids on the other team) :) :hihi:

I bled Tiger football long before I had ever even set foot inside the PMAC for a basketball game, or watch my first baseball game from "the Box". I cried tears of frustration when I watched Nebraska dismantle LSU in the Sugar Bowls of '85 and '87. And to this day, is the primary reason for my dislike of the Corn Huskers.

I continue to get goose bumps every time I hear the recording of Pre-game (which I play at the start of every televised LSU game) and I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually have tears of pride swell up in my eyes when I'm actually in Tiger Stadium in person and hear pre-game. It gives me such a rush listening to the roar of the crowd and the band plays as the players run out of the tunnel as if it's me running onto the field.

I never, ever get tired of going for walks around campus, and taking extended stops outside of Tiger Stadium and Mike's cage. To stare at Tiger Stadium, even on a day other than Saturday, when the campus is quiet, makes me want to close my eyes and listen for the roar of the crowd as Billy Cannon runs 89 yards on Halloween night. Or the Bandits making one of many goal-line stands to end a drive. Or feeling the Earth shake as Fuller comes down with the pass from Hodson to beat Auburn.... Yes, being outside of Tiger Stadium, knowing how much the football team, and the stadium has been such a huge part of me and my family, brings back all kinds of memories and disapointment in that I wasn't around for some of the historic games that have been played there.

:geauxtigs :helmet: :geauxtigs

2. Carface

Carface What the...?

:helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

Was there ever a question? :lol:

3. lsuj2006

lsuj2006 Founding Member

Sidenote: The band does not play "Hey Fightin' Tigers" as the team runs out.

4. BostonBengal

wups. thanks.... way to ruin my "moment" there! ;)

5. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

:tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas: :tigbas:

Reasoning-
    1.) 1991, 1993, 1996, 1997 and 2000
    2.) Players are more interactive with fans.
    3.) Great atmosphere.

Ok, so I'm a lil biased. :grin:

6. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

My list would be:
    1. :helmet:
    2. Baseball :tigbas:
    3. Mens :bball:
    4. Girls :bball:
    5. Girls Softball :tigbas:

I grew up watching LSU Football, started getting into baseball back in the early 90's, really got into basketball back in the days of Chris Jackson and Shaq.
    But like many people with the success of the Girls programs (Basketball and Softball) i would have to move them both ahead of men Basketball (Still keep track of them just don't make a point to watch them like the others).

:geauxtigs :champs:

7. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

:helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

Reason. It's the south. That's all I know.

Followed by gymnastics. These girls are good and it gives me something to do with my daughter. It doesn't hurt that both the audience and the floor is easy on the eyes.

8. BostonBengal

:thumb:

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

basketball. college basketball is great because of the tournament is the best televised event of the year.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

LSU Football is my easy favorite but they don't play enough games.
    Baseball is my favorite season because I can watch a game everynight and get to hear LSU on the radio on many occasions.