What's your take on gay's being given marriage licenses?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerEducated, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

2. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

your wasting your time T educated this man has no children (or if he does I feel sorry for them) and he is devoid of any kind of morals what so ever. Pray for him. that's about all you can do.

"(T)he foundation of our national policy will be laid in the pure and immutable principles of private morality; ...the propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained..." George Washington, First Inaugural, April 30 1789

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

why am i the sicko for allowing others to be sickos? i want nothing to do with them!

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Whether you think they should or should not, to simply "not make a decision" is to shrink away from a subject that those on BOTH sides of the argument are seeking a decision on.

You advocate the allowance of gays to be included in the institution of marriage by your feigned reluctance to care. You seem to argue with those that support, but then shy away from taking a stance by advocating that you don't care.

As for your "I don't give a damn about the rule of law"...If I just walked into your bank and emptied out your account and they didn't prosecute me because they, "didn't give a damn about the rule of law" I'm sure you might not care, because you yourself wouldn't give a damn, right?

The rule of law governs us all...You included.

Do you pay taxes? Do you own a driver's license? Do you pay insurance? Do you have to worry about someone beating you over the head at work because they don't give a damn about the rule of law?

That's right...You do pay your taxes, because the rule of law dictates that to live your life in this society, you must. You own a driver's license because you must drive to work and if you're stopped, by law, you'll have your driving privileges revoked, and if caught again, will be incarcerated. You'll then surrender to authorities or go on the run, because the rule of law will come for you.

You don't worry about assault in the workplace because you depend-whether you know it or not-on that rule of law to protect you.

Your piece of mind is protected by the rule of law. That rule of law-subconciously-allows you not to care about it.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i do not care about rule of law. i do not blindly obey. what i think is right and wrong is independent of the law.

what i am saying is two-fold. one, i think its basically a non-issue, because it has no real relevance relative to every other issue that matters (e.g. national security, taxes.)

two, i am saying the government should not make rules on things i consider to basically be religious. for example, i mentioned baptism. there is clearly a traditional way to be baptised, and the government has no right defining how it should be done for any one. however, since i dont pay attention to meaningless rituals myself, it is no big deal.

i do not care if people violate some particular laws. for example, i would not care if you started an illegal gambling ring, because i believe it is not immoral or wrong. the fact that is illegal is not somethign i respect. i like gambling and it is not immoral or wrong, even though the government often doesnt allow it.

my system of right and wrongs is dictated by me, not the government. that means i respect my neighbor's right to not have his things stolen, but not his right to not have me gamble. i do not beleive anyone should tell me not to gamble. this is not some ridiculous slippery slope that means i believe in lawlessness so i should be robbed.

i am sure you violate laws periodically yourself, but i do not make some stupid point to you about emptying your bank account because you dont respect the rule of law.

it doesnt bother me if everyone breaks some particular laws. for example i dont care if rush limbaugh does drugs. good for him if he enjoys drugs.

laws are not magic, you dont have to obey them if you dont feel like it and you dont care about getting caught. if we lived during prohibition i would be enjoying beers at the local speakeasy while you were on your high horse preaching about the rule of law.

6. TigerEducated

LOL...I worked for the liquor lobby for a year and a half as a student worker, man...If you think I was going to be some prohibition era teetoaler, you're off you're goard, and again, projecting and assuming your way through life, much less this conversation...

Meaningless to YOU, but not to a VAST majority of other people, on EITHER side of the issue. Your opinion, while your right to express it, finds itself in such a minority, the will of the people-whether they fall on one side of the issue or the other-usurp yours for what the majority in this nation consider to be the "greater good".

Your opinions do not dictate what will happen in the federal government. They don't dictate what will happen in state, or local government either. The only reason they don't is that you don't have many opinions, other than reasoning that since things don't affect you, you don't worry about them.

Again, the RULE OF LAW you choose to ignore allows you to ignore it. Your own compass, whether moral, internal, intangible or given to you by some higher power or being, or perhaps one you just make up on your own, dictates how you act, but if what you decide to do diverges from the will of the majority of the society in which you live, that society's set of norms, which are set, dictated, and outlined by government and its rule of law, will punish you based on how egregious the divergence is.

If you choose to gamble and are caught at a cockfight, or a dogfight, etc, betting on those things, then what you decided to do will probably come at a personal cost to you via our RULE OF LAW.

Whether monetarily speaking, or whether you're forced to give up your personal sovreignty and freedom to do what you like by being incarcerated, on probation, or on house arrest, etc.

Or, you could choose not to pay your restitution that this society deems appropriate for being caught doing what you like in divergence with society's RULE OF LAW.

The RULE OF LAW will then issue a warrant for your arrest, further hindering your ability to do what you like when you're incarcerated...

In other words, YOU personally are bound by the RULE OF LAW in this society, just like anyone else.

Those in San Francisco, New Mexico, and Massachusetts are attempting, like you, to circumvent this RULE OF LAW our society has put in place to govern behavior and it's members.

You, much like those in those locations, will be held accountable, depending on how far and how egregious your divergence or attempts at contravention of the RULE OF LAW go in opposition to standards.

You really don't make a lot of sense on this one...The bottom line is that the government is in position where they have to make a decision because there is confusion amongst its populace...The RULE OF LAW that it abides, governs, and exists by, is being ignored, and this is tantamount to anarchy, and that's no slippery slope, just a matter of degrees, or severity, if you will.

Period.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

right, so as i assumed, you are like me in that you do not respect rule of law, but rather pick and choose what to obey. and yet we dont fall into anarchy. guess the slope isnt slippery enough.

and their decision should obviously be that they have no business dictating to the people how marriages should be, any more than they should tell people how to do a communion or a baptism.

8. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Why does it necessarily follow that just becasue you agree to "live and let live and mind your own business" it means you condone someones actions?
    I don't condone homosexuallity but if that is the behavior someone chooses to partake in, then I don't feel it my business any more than what you choose to read or watch on tv or the movies you see or anything else you do as long as you're not forcing it on me.
    And I don't feel that gays asking for equal privileges and rights under the law under whatever system or name of "marriage" or "cohabitation" or anything else is forcing it upon me.
    I read in all these posts about the "moral" and "religious" slant to this issue and really have to laugh. All you people preaching against this, I wonder if you feel it alright to have affairs with your neighbors wives or your best friends wives or your wives best friends or if it is okay to go out and pick up some gal at a bar, take her out and screw her and then forget her. I guess because that's between a man and a woman that's okay. Never mind that there are moral, legal and religious objections to this. I guess you shouldn't have to worry about the laws of God and man if you choose to indulge in this behavior and I guess it my responsibility to police you for it as well.
    What hypocrisy!
    "Do not judge, or you to will be judged. For in the same measure you judge others, it will be measured to you.
    "Get the board out of your own eye before you try to take the splinter out of someone elses." Matt.7:1-3
    Everytime any of you have gone out and had sex with a woman, in the eyes of God you have married her. In His eyes, that is all that is necessary to be married. "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be united with his wife and the two shall become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one." Matt 19:4-6
    And how many of you have respected the institution of marriage you so strongly defend that you honored your marriage vows through all kinds of trouble and never divorced?
    Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus or God ever force anyone to do anything. That is why we have free will, to choose our path in life. They set down the rules they want us to follow and lay out the penalty if we don't.
    None of us has any right to tell the other what lifestyle we should live any more than anyone has the right to dictate what God we follow or the books we read or the movies we see or where we go on vacation or who we should marry or how many kids we should have anything else.
    If these people choose to live that way, then it is their business, not mine, and they should not be denied the rights and privileges of everyday life just because some holier than thou politician or stump preacher doesn't like it.
    "There is no one righteous, not even one" Romans 1:10
    "There is no difference, for all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God". Romans 2:23

"For whoever keeps the whole law yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." James 2:10
    So none of us are any better than they are!
    Leave the judgement up to God. "Love thy neighbor as thyself."
    Everything on this Earth is temporary. It doesn't matter a hill of beans in the short term, our earthly lives. What matters is how we prepare ourselves for the next life, imo, because that is the one that lasts forever. I don't know about any of you people, but I have enough trouble taking care of me without worrying what everybody else is doing.
    And how many of you that are so concerned about this issue ( and prayer in schools) from a religious standpoint have ever read the entire Bible, not just bits and pieces of it?
    And btw, what difference does it make whether the "lesbians" are "real" or not? The sexual behavior is the same and if you find it titillating and entertaining, then you are as guilty as they are!
    God bless you all!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux:

9. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I live in San Jose and it makes me ill to see all the news coverage on all the gay and lesbians here. My God you would think they make up 90% of the Population.

I dont give a rats ass about gays and lesbians as long as they keep their business to themselves. But thats the problem. They shove their feelings in your face everywhere you turn.

Allow them their civil union but do not call it marriage. That is the right of religion to determine what a marriage is since they have determined the rules of Morality for thousands of years.

I used to like the Ellen Degeneres show before she came out and after that her whole show became about being gay.

This is the start of the end of the world. When Nature's laws are thrown out and lawlessness reigns the end of the world is near.

I am going home and having sex with my wife( A Woman By the way) because we are living on borrowed time!!!!

I hate to see what this world will have come to in 100 years. Our society has no morals and no ethics anymore.

I bet Cottonbowel66 has married his gay companion by now!!!!

Geaux Tigers
    Geaux Tigers

10. TigerEducated

Me not being a teetoaler, as well as working for the liquor lobby, does not mean I broke any laws, nor that I pick and choose what laws to obey...

Let me end your attempt at making a point here, and now...

The RULE OF LAW that this country has in place allows you to pick and choose what you want to do.

If you were in "Mother Russia" and ignoring Putin, getting on TV, the net, and in the press going off about him, or better yet, going off about Stalin...Do you think you would be able to continue to freely do whatever you wanted to do?

Or do you think the rule of the iron curtain would run you down to inhibit your ability to do what it is you say you do?

Of course...you'd be off to the goulag, or "disappeared" or exiled...Hence CEASING your ability to do what you wanted to do and obey and pick and choose what rules to follow...

Our RULE OF LAW allows for exactly the same thing...Only to a much lesser degree...The farther you diverge from that RULE OF LAW, the higher degree of risk you run of being disallowed to diverge from that rule of law...

Whether you like it or not, the same divergence on the part of the homosexual community in those areas, and those they support, are diverging on a path of free will that converges with our boundary of the rule of law...Since they've diverged and converged with it, the rule of law will now punish them...

The manner with which they attempted to relax mores, social norms, and outright LAWS on the books will end up backfiring and costing them more than they ever wanted in the first place.

You are really ducking this issue...but I'll say it again...Our society allows you to have your free will...but if you were somewhere else, the society of say...Russia...The consequences for your divergence from the RULE OF LAW would be much nastier...but still, the consequences would still occur...Because-like EVERYONE ELSE, you are bound by the rule of law...whether you admit it or not...