What's Your Worst Ever Machine?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Jul 15, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Boats are like women. Leasing arrangements are far more pragmatic than outright purchase.

I have been consistently happy with Chevy and Ford products. I have used many Chrysler/Dodge work vehicles and I simply cannot like them. It very strange, I know, but they have always plagued me with mechanical problems.

On the other hand, I abuse the hell out of employers field vehicles because . . . lets face it . . . I don't have to pay to fix it. Dodge ought to be tougher. Bunch of pussies.

HalloweenRun and TwistedTiger like this.
  2. red55

So, you bought an 8-year old off-road truck and it had some issues?

What a fucking tragedy. You poor thing.:rolleyes:

I've got an 1951 Ford Jubilee tractor I'd like to sell you . . . and its already in Pineville. I'll throw in a bush hog.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Dodge made good cars and trucks when they used the 318 motor. One of the most reliable engines ever made but now their vehicles do suck

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Never ever buy a used off road vehicle. You just know that some kid or some redneck cowboy abused the fuck out of it.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I was a 17 year old dude. It was my first ride, you're giving me shit for something I did 21 years ago, that's something my wife would do. She still gives me shit for looking at a server's tits 10 years ago.

Bengal B likes this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

An old bronco ii was the baddest truck at the deer camp for years. I swear I as almost elbow deep in mud and that thing just kept pulling.

7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Actually you should always lease if it Floats, Flies, or Fux.

8. red55

I bought a 14-year-old 1956 GMC pickup when I was 15 for $250. It's only problem was that it would sometime slip out of 3rd gear. So I made a notched stick so that I could prop the shifter against the dash when I was cruising in high. I drove that truck until I went to college. I wish I still had it.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You know I paid 1000 for mine, which I shouldn't have obviously now looking back on it, but I was young and stupid and I saved enough money working at a sno come stand one summer to buy my own vehicle. Every one of my friend's parents bought them a vehicle, but I had to buy my own if I wanted one. Lots of lessons learned in that vehicle. One was Always get receipts when you have work done on your car including oil changes. In 1997 the summer before I moved to DFW, I had Wal Mart do one of those oil change and 5 point inspection and fluid refill deals. I packed my shit and moved to Dallas. A month later the thing only drove in 3rd gear. I couldn't even force it in any other gear except reverse, and when I tried it sounded like 2 Terminators going at it. Come to find out, Wal Mart had either just forgot to put the pin back in the transmission fluid reservoir, or it fell out because they didn't put it in there tight enough, and all of my tranny fluid had leaked out a few months before and I was driving it with no transmission fluid. Would have cost more than the truck was worth to fix, so I traded it in on my first new car, a 1997 Honda Civic. Couldn't do shit to Wal Mart because I didn't keep the receipt.

10. red55

That truck had a pretty tough manual transmission. I drove mine full of people to the 1987 Gator Bowl, smoking dope and rocking out to loud music. We left after the game very early and everybody was dozing except me. I was a nice day and I had the window down and no music on. I kept hearing a whirring noise that didn't seem right. So I pulled over and looked over all the belts and stuff under the hood, no problems. Then I looked under the car and noticed that the fill plug was missing from the transmission.

I had it serviced before leaving Baton Rouge and they had apparently left it out. It had slung out all of its fluid and I had driven it dry at high speed for about 800 miles. Amazingly I found a parts store open on Sunday morning in a small Florida town off I-10, refilled the transmission and put a new plug in. I drove that truck for another 7 years without a hint of a problem.

It taught me to pay more attention to changes in sounds and to occasionally to turn off the damn music, roll down the windows and listen. It has allowed me to notice bad bearings on two occasions, bad serpentine belts, bad brake pads galore, and a bad u-joint, all before they became severe and dangerous issues.

That reminds me, right now I am hearing a light buzzing sound on my 8-year-old Explorer that reminds me of a bad speedometer cable. Do these new electronic transmissions still have a physical spinning cable going to the speedometer? I thought they had been replaced by hub speed sensors. What could cause a buzz related to speed?