When did AU become LSU's biggest Rival?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by AUMorgan21, Oct 24, 2002.

1. AUMorgan21

AUMorgan21 Founding Member

From what I can tell Auburn is you guys' biggest rival, which up until this year I was unaware of. I always knew it was a big game, but I just assumed it was because the games always seem to be really good games. I always wondered who your biggest rival was since you dont have a big instate rival like most of the rest of the SEC.

WAR EAGLE!!

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

The Day they hired Tommy Tuberville.

Prior to the hiring of Satan himself (Although some may disagree)

The order was the following

1. Ole Miss
    2. Alabama - Because the used to own us in Tiger Stadium
    3. Florida - Spurrier
    4. The rest in any order you chose.

They are trying with all their might to get us in one with the Hogs, but no one really cares on either side. We play for some silly boot looking trophy and have it as the last game etc etc. (Sort of like the Iron Bowl)
    But honestly no LSU fans really care one way or the other with Arkansas.

Geaux Tigers

3. AUMorgan21

AUMorgan21 Founding Member

Ahhhh

So we basically just took Ole Miss' spot since we inheritted their coach?? :) I knew it had to have been some time recently. Thanks

WAR EAGLE

4. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I think it goes back to the late '80s. Since then (except for some bad Hallman and Dinardo years) LSU and AU were the top contenders for the SECW. For many years LSU and AU opened up their SEC play against each other, and as that game went, so went the SECW. That game was a good prediction of how the SECW would turn out, so naturally it was a big game for both teams. Last year the game had to be moved to the last game, and once again, that game decided the SECW. I think it is better to play it at the end of the season, because it sets uo a kind of SECWCG, like last year. If that game had been earlier in the year, it wouldn't have had the significance it did because no one could be certain that the SECW would be between these 2 teams. But because it was at the end, we really knew that the SECW would be decided with that one game.

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

The fact that we've had such good games (crazy games) in recent history and, as Ellis said, that we used to play early made the game that much more important. It was such a momentum type game for the winner as the meat of the schedule followed. Still, I don't know if LSU has ONE big rival like AU has with Bama. Bama, Ole Miss, and Auburn are all way up there for LSU. I don't really care about Arkansas yet (although it has the potential to be a big game every year). Tulane was it decades ago. I guess our biggest three rivals all have their own major rival.

6. tigerb8

tigerb8 Founding Member

Actually the rivalery with AU is mainly in football due the awesome games AU & LSU have been involved with,you never know whats going to happen(The earthquake game( Iwas there) The barn burner at AU( not there) and several other close ones , plus the cheap arragence of TT . LSU fans look forward to the games due to the Drama played out on the field.

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

North Louisiana Tiger fans care a GREAT DEAL about beating Arkansas, because we've got a lot of Arkansas alumni up around where I live (when I'm not in school). It's a big deal north of Alexandria. That's why I think it would be a great idea to play Arkansas in Shreveport, kind of like Georgia and Florida in Jacksonville, or Texas/Oklahoma in Dallas. Just an idea.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

8. tack

tack Freshman

However their own states view them, nationally I believe that they are viewed on about the same level. Maybe as upper mid level division IA teams. It's a battle as to who will step on the other ones back to move on to a higer level. Recently LSU has been on a major up swing and wants to keep it that way. Going into Auburn will no doubt be a tough battle.

9. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

That's actually a FANTASTIC idea, Jetstorm. Independence stadium would be a great venue for the game. Its about halfway between Baton Rouge and Fayetville.

10. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

I agree with Ellis and Jetstorm. I think it would be good for LSU and Arkansas to play in Shreveport. (Maybe every other year). The only drawback, and it's a big one, is the seating capacity of Independence Bowl Stadium. I don't know what it holds but I doubt that it's even near the seating capacity of Tiger Stadium. It would give some of the North Louisiana Tiger fans that don't make it to BR often an opportunity to live the LSU football experience.