When do we say Kobe = Jordan?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Pippen was just the best of the rest of the Bulls. He wasn't very good during the two years that MJ took off and he wasn't very good when he played for Houston. Michael Jordan made everybody on the team a better player just by his presence, including Scottie Pippen.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Scottie Pippen was no better than Penny Hardaway. I hope he gave half his check to Michael Jordan...

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Jordan's body of work is certainly great, but it is completed, done, finis.

Kobe's still writing the book.

Can't wait for the finish.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yes, Kobe has 4 rings, 3 with Shaq and last years but even though Kobe pretty much carried the Lakers through the regular season the Lakers dominated every series in the playoffs. Maybe a large part of that domination was because of Kobe or maybe it was because there were no other teams as close enough in ability to challenge the Lakers. Kobe has never had to make the game winning shot or play at the buzzer of a playoff elimination game. Thats not his fault that his team was a lot better than their challengers but Michael Jordan DID make that game winning play at least 4 or 5 times that kept the Bulls from being eliminated.

I'm not knocking Kobe. If his career ended today he is still one of the top 10 or 15 greatest players of all time.

5. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

Getting a few more rings would help Kobe, but it's not enough. He's too far back in the statistical categories to catch up--not to mention public perception.

Here you go (per game averages for career):

Points- Kobe 25.3; Jordan 30.1

Rebounds- Kobe 5.3; Jordan 6.2

Assists-Kobe 4.6; Jordan 5.3

Steals- Kobe 1.5; Jordan 2.3

Blocks- Kobe 0.6; Jordan 0.8

Field Goal %- Kobe .456; Jordan .497

Turnovers- Kobe 2.9; Jordan 2.7

Jordan beats him (fairly easily) in every single meaningful statistical category. Plus, he did it in an era (90's were far more physical and allowed hand-checking) where points were more difficult to come by.

6. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Im a HUGE Kobe fan. The guy is by far the best player right now. He is certainly an all time great. That said, he isnt nor will ever be quite as good as MJ. Stats dont tell the hole story. Overall I think Kobe has more off games and thats what seperates them. MJ was also a better defensive player. Kobe was a lock down guy but has gotten a bit lazy the last 3 years or so compared to before. MJ never slacked.

The NBA is much deeper than it was during a lot of MJs reign. So you cant just use championships to judge. If anyone will surpass him it will be LeBron but he has a long ways to go but is still very young.

What I like about Kobe is he has the drive that only MJ has. He will kill you to win.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Kobe will never be = to MJ. When Kobe wins a championship with Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, and Bill Cartwright, then i might change my mind.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Name someone who wasnt in the top 50 that deserves Pippens spot.

9. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

To be honest though the NBA is much deeper right now than what it was back when Jordan was winning titles. Kobe didnt really have a true C last year and he won it. Like I said, MJ is better but I dont think the title tell the whole story. Thats all Im saying here.

10. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

That's true...he had two true centers.