When does Florida fire Muschamp? Apparently today.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 13, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

nick came in an hired Phil Elmassian the first year as his DC. Phil has had 21 stops in the profession. An at 63 years of age, still coaching.
    The next DC was Gary Gibbs, lasted one year(2001 season). Moving to the Dallas Cowboys, then to the Saints. He has been with the Chiefs for the last 6 years.

During that 2001 season, Muschamp was hired as the LB coach, Muschamp was a DC at a small school, for one year. When Gibbs left. Muschamp was bumped up to Dc.

What was lost during those years was the John Thompson hire, it lasted a couple weeks. As the story goes, nick and Thompson was on a recruiting trip, an had somehow got lost looking for a recruits house. nick kept screaming an cussing Thompson, once back in BTR, John resigned. nick called another DC I know, an offered him the position. The guy told nick, three things were gonna happen if he took the job. The first, he said, you're gonna lie to me, then you are gonna cuss me out, then, I'm gonna have to kick your a$$. nicks reply, "I'm not gonna cuss you out." Then the reply came, "You're lying to me now."

Oh, the staff at barn will now be known as Guschamp.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Interesting read covering Foley and the hiring of Mac.

One of the first names that was mentally checked off the list — Jim McElwain. Once Foley learned of the $7.5 million buyout, it seemed like too large a burden to overcome.

“That's a huge amount of money,” Foley said. “But the word got back to me as I went along that it was negotiable. I thought it might be a deal-breaker at the start. But once you got by that hurdle, he was back in the mix.”

Much of the first two weeks of the process was eliminating coaches who either were happy where they were or were not that right fit at Florida. Sometimes, silence was the best indicator that a coach wasn't interested.

“The one thing the South Carolina thing did for us was give us two weeks to do a lot of work,” Foley said. “Who fits here, who wants to come here, who's doable. I didn't want to get somebody a raise or get left at the altar.”

There was some interest in at least checking into some NFL coaches.

“Is there a diamond in the rough?” Foley asked his staff.

One of the popular names in cyberspace was New England assistant Josh McDaniels. Foley did ask some questions about him, but it never went any further.

Meanwhile, there was the report that Foley wanted to talk to Philadelphia coach Chip Kelly. Foley knew better than to go down that road because Kelly has made it clear he likes coaching in the NFL.

“I didn't ask anybody about Chip Kelly,” Foley said. “I never poked around Chip Kelly at all.”

As the process continued, Foley kept hearing good things about McElwain. He talked to a lot of people about the Colorado State coach, including two former McElwain quarterbacks — Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron. He also talked to Alabama coach Nick Saban.

LSUDad likes this.