When it rains, it pours: Olvey out for season+

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, May 4, 2006.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

this isn't necessarily something that has happened recently. lsu's been overthrowing pitchers since 1984.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no because this goes on everywhere. scouts say every college ace is overused even if not in hopes that their influence helps to keep them less used, so to speak. they want that golden arm to get to them with the fewest pitches in it as possible.

pitchers are lost every weekend of the season due to ligaments being shredded. this is likely because they are overused as teenagers and even beforehand. breaking balls at age 12 with an overbearing dad is the beginning of such a thing.

actually pitch counts arent the true factor in determining wear and tear, its more the tough pitches in a game that are more relevant. if a pitcher has runners on base it means hes forced to make tougher pitches and is laboring more which is what puts the heavy stress on an arm. Like a closer....who may only throw 30 pitches but he's going all out under duress so his arm will be sorer than say, greg maddux who threw 110 (not mph) and 8 innings.

But the fact remains, 150 pitches is far too many after a 120 outing the game before. A pitch count is in order after such a heavy count.

so being theres no real way to determine if olveys arm was still injured from before theres no way to place blame with certainty. but i'll form my own guess with the limited facts I have.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Which is what I am talking about. I've seen games with a pitcher in the 120's, but never back to back outings with such a high count in each game. That just seems insane to me.

4. tirk

well not nowadays. times are different. kids arent outside "throwing" all the time like we did growing up. meaning, their arms arent able to withstand such pitch counts any longer as they once could.

in the good ole days, a guy like nolan ryan was throwing over 200 pitches in a game as a rookie even. And we know he could throw kinda hard.

if kids would throw more in between pitching to build their arms up this wouldnt be a problem and pitch counts wouldnt be an issue. But as noted, scouts wont allow that to happen even though it would lengthen careers and benefit them in the process.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

WOW! I didn't realize that! Yeah, that IS too much! I can see if the kid is a big-bodied "power pitcher"--but even at that, college players (hell, even PROS) SHOULDN'T go that high in back-to-back outtings! :shock: :po:

What was the coaching staff thinking??!??!!? :confused:

99% of all baseball related injuries can't be blamed on coaches (IMO at least)...but pitch counts of 140 and 150 in back-to-back games??? I'm hard pressed to find a ledgit reason as to WHY SHOULDN'T the coaches be blamed???

6. Adam4848

Adam4848 Founding Member

Does anyone know what our pitching staff is going to look like next year?

7. tirk

an infirmary.

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I agree. Allowing a player--ESPECIALLY a college player--to throw THAT many is detrimental to his potential career not to mention, the VERY least, his health.

For ANY coach to allow that to happen, SHOULD result in "World's Biggest DUMBA$$" award given to said coach.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

That would be funny if it were not so sadly true!

10. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

You have to put this entirely on Smoke and the coaches. There is no reason at all for a guy that has a history of arm problems to be throwing nearly 300 pitches in two outings. This is especially so considering the circumstance in which that 150 pitch game occurred. LSU had a pretty comfortable 4 run lead late in the game. I dont understand the reasoning behind it. I know the bullpen is shaky, but if you cant rely on them to hold a 4 run lead in two innings, then you don't deserve to win. What a waste of a good arm.