When the boobirds begin to boo

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu99, Aug 23, 2004.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

First, let me say that I have no problem when fans boo at professional events. However, IMO, college athletes should be treated differently. If Randall struggles just a little, I think it's impossible to stop fans that will boo and they'll do it early and often. Most of the time that I've been in situations like this, it's the fans telling the people doing the booing to shut up that are making more noise than the actual boo-ers. When you think about it, the guy doing the booing is actually getting you to join forces with him by increasing the volume in the stadium.

If you're a fan that has complete trust in Saban/Fisher & Co. (like most of us), the urge is to tell the people around you to stop booing and let them know all the reasons why they're an idiot for booing. Next thing you know, both of you are getting kicked out of the stadium. My first suggestion would be to just let it go. Like the saying goes, idiots will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. However, if you absolutely MUST put one of these idiots in their place, try doing it at the next timeout or in a situation where it doesn't add to the overall "crowd displeasure" sound. To me, if you yell at someone to stop WHILE they're booing you're just adding fuel to their fire.

Or maybe we can just give Marcus the nickname of "Blue" Randall (for the Bluegrass Miracle) so it sounds like everyone's saying BLLLUUUUEEEEE. :geaux:

2. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I have never booed LSU players, however i have cussed a few Offensive Coordinators in my day... ;)

Seriously, excellent point, Pro Atheletes different story, however these kids are Tigers, they chose to come to LSU, the love LSU as much as we do. I have a theory if Saban says this guy (Anyone) gives us the best chance to win then I will trust his judgement.

4. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

I like the BLLLUUUUEEEEE :thumb: :)
    I don't think there is any need to boo a player on any team at any time. :dis:

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Oooookkkk....that was a weird post.

Seriously though, I don't boo players but I doubt that the booers are thinking.....(hey let me boo and everyone will tell me to shut up and it will sound louder and they'll sound like they're booing too)

Intersting theory though.

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I guess I never booed a player pro and surely not college. However I have booed the management of a game.

7. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

I think all of us

remember the Hallman and DiNardo bad years and the frequent booing that occurred. I booed at times myself.....the coaches, not the players and I know the players can't determine who is getting booed.

But I think people saw last year a new thing happening at LSU games....or at least I did. When Georgia tied the game on the long screen pass, people didn't get scared or have the brook-trout look that Saban has coined. I think people got back on their feet and knew it was time to make it happen. Florida game.......I was just waiting for us to break out....it never happened but till then end I thought we were gonna pull it out.

Anyway, I think the fans have a renewed faith in what's going on and a respect for our coaches to not boo. No one boos at baseball games even if we get beat 22-2.....there's just too much respect for the coaches mainly....and players. There's a sense of faith. With faith, comes a sense of pulling out every game or that we'll get 'em next time. Boos come when hope seems lost.

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Obviously the booers aren't that intelligent. I was just pointing out to the people who argue with the booers that they're adding to that "negative noise" that grows throughout the stadium. For instance, if LSU goes 3 and out on their first series against Oregon St, you probably won't hear anyone boo. If Randall throws an INT on the second series, you may hear a few people calling for Russell but not many. It's the people arguing with the Randall-bashers that makes it seem like more people are actually booing.

I'd just hate to see us criticized on national TV booing Randall during the opener after winning the national championship. While I think there are only a few that would do this, there are many more that would stick up for Randall and try to make the boobird shut up. Don't even waste your time.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Players are going to make mistakes. Most players do throughout the course of a game, unfortunately the player who holds the ball every play can't hide from his, only second to this in the cornerback who sits on an island in man coverage. If our QB, whoever he is, struggles consistently I'm sure there are people who will boo. I cannot imagine the Tiger faithful significantly booing any of our players. I'll trust that Saban and Jimbo will have the QB who puts us in the best position to win in the game. Randall will be given EVERY chance there is to succeed and I hope he does.

10. col reb

col reb Founding Member

How do you do that? Go to the manager's office on a Monday and go "BOO---BOO---SHAME ON YOU!!!!" If you BOO at the stadium, the kids cannot differ between who you are booing....... :usaflagwa