Where are the fire Chavis threads ????

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stevescookin, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Most of the defensive screw ups happened in the second half. I think everyone, players and Miles alike, said "Oh, we got this." Miles tried to correct it later and run some clock management to which Ridley fumbled and gave UNC their last chance to win.

I don't like giving up 400 passing a game, but if all you do is fling the ball to players running sprints down the sidelines, you will eventually hit them. Besides, at that point in the game UNC had nothing to lose by trying it.

Two things I am happy about the defense after yesterday: a good showing for the first half, before going into the locker rooms and deciding it was a done deal. Also, we may have given up 400 yards through the air, but only 24 on the ground. It wasn't perfect, but it could have been worse

2. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Perhaps, but the Ole Miss debacle wasn't just on Miles' terrible game managment at the end. It was a terrible game plan on both sides of the ball. McCluster toasted the defense. Florida ran 3 or 4 different plays all game to eat up clock to win. They didn't need to run anything but QB up the middle or RB up the middle or to the side. La Tech and Miss. State didn't do too bad against us, either.

I had to work for the Penn State game. Tell me how that went.

Either way, he's a softy who likes a lot of cushion in zone coverage. He's not an LSU caliber defensive coordinator. His scheme is tired and worn out and it has been for a while.

Then maybe LSU should try it.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

We called off the dogs...and that, more than anything, let them back in the game.

I hate the prevent defense...they ought to call it the "Here you go" defense or the "turn the other cheek" defense

Maybe even the "My mommy taught me to share" or the "your turn" defense...

....but NOT the ":lsup:" defense !!!

4. Chase4LSU

It worries me sometimes that we don't. I know that is inherently risky, but sometimes wish we would try that instead of WR screens and such. Perhaps it is not JJ's strength, but it would be nice to see from time to time. I don't expect to see it a lot until desparation sets in.

5. CajunPunk

LSU's defense hasn't looked like an LSU DEFENSE since the early part of '07.

6. Chase4LSU

I don't like prevent, but I really am beginning to hate zone defense.

7. CajunPunk

I agree. To be honest, I knew what the first play of LSU offense would be last night - a shotgun handoff to the RB. I was hoping they'd just bomb it or toss it into the endzone just to say, "Hey, we aren't afraid of you."

We did it once and it worked.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

UNC has a good pocket-passing QB with several good WRs (apparently). all you can really do against that when you have a lead is slow them down--which is what happened.

the great news about this game is that is shows the difference a year can make for a qb.

9. Berge

Berge Founding Member

It's a scheme that does not give up a lot of points. Florida scored 13 points. THIRTEEN. Yet it was not a close game because the offense went 3 and out over and over again.

A lot of people forgot about how the Ole Miss game REALLY went:

LSU went up 17-9 in the 2nd quarter (7 points from a FG block), and the offense didn't score again until the very end of the game. Ole Miss played on a short field ALL game because of the offense. The offense only moved the ball on a prevent defense Ole Miss set up with 3 minutes left in the game, up by two scores. Hell, a 2-point conversion would have avoided ALL of the screw-up at the end of the game.

There is no way you can blame the defense for giving up yardage when you lose the time of possession by more than 10 minutes every game.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A little. Effective second half adjustments were not made and that is on Chavis.