Where are the tech geeks?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Sep 25, 2023.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I have an issue that I need solved. It involves TV's and VPN's. I need to cast or screen mirror from a tablet to the TV. The tablet will be behind the vpn however to cast the TV needs to be on the same network. Wouldn't the vpn prevent the TV from doing that?

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

VPN would be for visiting external sites. Since the TV and tablet are on the same internal network, it will not access the VPN and you should be fine for casting.

kcal likes this.
  3. shane0911

So here is the back story. I have a buddy in CO that wants to watch Avs hockey. Due to some bullshit with the company that broadcast they are blacked out in the state of CO.

I'm thinking if he gets his tablet behind a VPN he can log into to espn+ and cast to his TV. The problem is to cast the tablet AND TV have to be on the same wifi.

Wouldn't they be different if the tablet is behind the VPN?

4. fanatic

They're still on the same internal (wifi) network. The VPN is only used for outgoing connections. The tablet would be the one utilizing the VPN (outgoing connection) to get to the game, but they will be using the same internal network/protocol to cast from one device to the other.

shane0911 likes this.
  5. fanatic

In addition, he can add a VPN to his smart TV and just skip the step of having to cast from the tablet.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. shane0911

Now you're speaking mandarin. How in the hell ...

7. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

you can also install the VPN on the router so everything in the house is behind it.

I use a VPN, but its only on this laptop I am typing on now. so I can watch the Astros on the laptop, but not the TV. I would need to install the VPN on the TV or the router.

the router would solve everything, but I would worry every device in the house would be slowed a tiny bit. but maybe not.

shane0911 likes this.