Where do we need to FILL in next year?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jan 14, 2005.

1. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

I think Joseph will eventually work his way into the starting cornerback spot, he is that good. We're stacked at corner next year, we may be better there next year even though we are losing our two starting corners, if that makes any sense. I thought I had heard that the plan was for Wroten to move over to end and Dorsey was going to start in the middle next to Williams, I like that idea, a lot more than having West or (Kirstan) Pittman in the starting lineup, I know nothing about Chase, hopefully he'll be able to contribute. Also, I thought that Kuale was moving to Mike linebacker and Hollis or Highsmith would battle for the Sam position.

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

True dat!:geauxtigs

3. friday

friday Founding Member

Two comments:
    1) Didn't Craig Steltz leave LSU and go back to Ark to be with his ailing father?
    2) IMO, Marlon Favorite should get some playing time next year (he's 4th on the depth chart). This guy was an animal at west jeff and should be in the rotation. does anyone know how he's progressing?

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

No, it wasn't CS, it was Matt Stoltz.

I think Dandy Don just did not know where to put them yet since they couldn't play this year. I'm sure they will both move a lot during the Spring.

All of what we have heard may or may not be out the window with new coaches on board, this should be a very interesting spring.

5. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

I agree about Favorite. The dude is a monster and superstrong.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Weakness may be at corner.

Prude is not very good in coverage (see last play of Iowa game where he thought he was playing zone defense for some ungodly reason and his man scored the winning TD). Some on here think Prude is God's gift to pass coverage, I still have no idea what they are basing that on.

Stevenson getting hurt wasn't good either. Now he comes in with limited PT, much like Chevis Jackson.

Don't look for aggressive blitzing very often next year.

7. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I think Chevis and Sammy Joseph will be our best 2 CBs next year. Thats JMO though, and I wouldnt be surprised if neither of them start...Prude and Mario are pretty good too. I just like what I saw in a young Chevis Jackson this year (minus one play against UF). And I have heard nothing but really good things about Sammy Joseph.

We need help at MLB .....bad. Kuale is gone after next year and I think Sanders is better at OLB. We need Jon Demps bad (and I read where Miles may be working some magic here). We also need WRs. We have a bunch of young studs but we arent deep. If we dont get any this year we need 3 next year.

....and did those little green dots just get littler or is it just me???

8. Cat Squirrel

Cat Squirrel Founding Member

All in all....

I think that's a VERY strong line-up

:rofl:

We WILL contend next year....just a feelin' :D

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I think you're right. Joseph WAS a starter at Colorado before transferring--probably due in some small part to the bad pub. the program there was getting.

I don't think we can replace Spears. He was much too good and much too valuable. I think we CAN find someone equally as valuable in the future, but none of our current DE's is at the level of Spears (and that's not to be taken as an insult to our DE's. They're very good in their own right--probably still the best set of DE's you'll see in the SEC. Spears is just that much better, IMO.) Each one of our DE's brings something different. Oliver, is a MULE. Plain and simple. Pittman is speedster. He's very, very quick off the ball and is a nice incert on passing downs.

I think our secondary is talented still. I think our CB's are going to be athletic and will surprise many. We just don't know enough about them yet to justify a "I'm not worried" tag on them.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

If Mario gets a medical redshirt I think it helps LSU not hurts. He got to practice a lot, study a lot, work under Saban a lot, etc. And I don't know who you watched last season but Prude was a better cover corner than TD and CW in a lot of cases and had the number one receiver in the slot on many occasions, just like Blue Gay did in 2003, especially in the Sugar Bowl. Teams got to know Saban's defensive tendencies and knew that Webster and Daniels were going to stay on the outside almost always and they put their go to guy in the slot. Plus Joseph and Jackson are going to be good I believe but we will have to wait and see, especially on Joseph since we didn't get to see him this year. Jackson has all of the physical tools and was good in coverage but had a few mental mistakes.