Where do we stand with JC QB Mettenberger?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUFan1950, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I wasn't all that confident he could make the transition that fast. But Newton did pretty well with Auburn, and Mettenberger had a season in Georgia's system as a redshirt.

He'll have to CLEARLY be the best QB on the team to play before Jefferson and Lee. I am more confident than you that, if he is clearly the best, he'll start.

The problem right now is that neither Lee or Jefferson is really all that great. To state the obvious.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Another piece that shows it is only a matter of time IMO.

Zach Mettenberger making most of second chance - ESPN

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Sounds promising, but I have to disagree with him, LSU will be in another NC game before A&M sniffs it. Hopefully he'll come in, steal the job and be very productive.

4. Jester

Jester Founding Member

I'm kinda worried now. I was never too concerned with the whole disciplinary problems that he had at Georgia. Everything I've seen of the kid indicates that he is pretty well spoken, hard working, intelligent, and our accepting him could be a great opportunity for us to bring in a very athletic/talented QB to turn our offense around.

However, if he thinks Texas A&M is gonna be in the BCS Championship hunt in a year or two, he is obviously either a complete moron or the kid is indulging in some major drug binges and we need to pass on his services.

1 person likes this.
  5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Haha. Yep, first thing I thought was that he needs better judgment than that to be a successful SEC QB.

6. bhelmLSU

LOL

Relax

Recruits say that stuff all the time. It is a way to be nice to the coaches who recruited them because you know all coaches say they will be in the hunt within a few years to entice recruits.

7. Jester

Jester Founding Member

I was being extremely facetious. My comment was practically dripping with sarcasm. In fact, I don't care if the guy scarfs down a pound of shrooms a day, participates in hedonistic drug fueled orgies every night, and is going to be the next star of the Reality TV show Sister Wives: Jersey Shore Edition..........if he can play QB and pull our Offense out of this funk.........the guy is golden.

1 person likes this.
  8. geneinga

geneinga Veteran Member

I've known Zach since the day he was born; I'm a friend of the family going back almost thirty years. I have no inside information on where he will decide to go, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't sign with LSU.

The trouble he got into back in the spring is an indication of his youth, not his character. I wish I was at liberty to discuss all I know about that situation but I can't. The bottom line is that Zach went into a bar at 18 and paid dearly for that decision. He has learned a huge lesson and moved on. Any of you who worry that he would bring baggage to your program should google jayhawk conference, find a link, and talk to someone at Butler CC and see what they think of him.

Someone else here stated that he has no college experience. Zach has led the Butler Grizzlies, who started the season unranked, to a 10-0 record, won the conference title, and this Sunday will play a team they beat 28-0 during the regular season for the region title. If they win that game, they will play for the JUCO national championship.

Zach has the strongest arm I have seen except for Matt Stafford's. His passes are like darts and almost impossible to defend. He played for three coaches in four years in high school, so his skills were not equal to his gifts when he came out. He has amazed me with his progress in the last two years.

He visited Texas A&M a couple of weeks ago and really liked what he saw and liked the reception he received. I will also say that a caravan of LSU fans drove overnight after the Alabama game to watch him play in the conference championship game last Sunday. He was pretty impressed with that.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't choose LSU; FWIW, that's the choice I hope he makes. If he does, here's what you get:

1. A kid who was 6'5" the day he went to get his learner's permit at 15 (he's 6'6" 240 now). He has great vision over the linemen.

2. A kid who has the strongest arm in college football, IMO.

3. A kid who told me at 17 that his goal is to win a national championship. The seriousness in his voice really impressed me.

4. A kid who has a touchdown to interception ratio in college of 25-3.

5. A kid who maintains a 3.5 gpa.

6. A kid who made a huge mistake and has been working his butt off hard to redeem himself.

I could go on and on, but I won't. I'm a huge fan of his and I just wanted to give you an introduction. I hope he chooses LSU. If he does, I'll wear purple for the first time in my life. My dream would be to see LSU defeat Georgia in Atlanta sometime in the next few years. Probably won't happen though, because UGA is headed in the wrong direction for the time being.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Thanks, Gene. That's very encouraging and I think that everyone here would be shocked if he wasn't a Tiger next year. I've been following him at Butler a bit and he seems very impressive. He could be exactly what LSU needs for next year, a season I might add with almost everyone coming back.

I'm glad people didn't judge me later in life by all the stupid things I did when I was 18... :D

10. bhelmLSU

Thanks for stopping by Gene. Great info

I hope you stick around...