Where do you rank the SEC's bowl tie-ins?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DocBrooks, Sep 19, 2006.

1. DocBrooks

DocBrooks Founding Member

I just peaked at a message board for a Big East team and they were talking about if they don't win the conference how they'll be lucky to make the Gator bowl, but then went on to say "but if ND goes to Gator Bowl, we're gonna have to compete with such and such team for a spot at the "tire" bowl"...

Look, I want, and expect BCS pretty much every year, either as conf champs or at large, but at least we don't have to worry about getting snubbed by the "tire" bowl.

Among the conferences, how would you rate the SEC's tie-ins? BCS and non-BCS? And why?

I think our non-BCS bowls are fine (comparitively), but I hate how there has been matchups like LSU-Illinois (b/c of Illini), UGA-WVU (yea, that's right, i still don't think they'd do that again), etc... seems like the only good one recently has been our NC year and that was because it happened to be the Sugar's year. I do like that the SEC's BCS bowl is in our state though... Now if we can only get that SECCG to rotate cities....

2. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Actually, both matchups you mention were in the Sugar Bowl, a BCS bowl.

I personally think we play too many against the Big1T1en and not enough against other conferences. After the BCS bid, the ranking goes like thi:
    Capitol One vs Big1T1en
    Outback vs Big1T1en
    Cotton vs Big XII
    Peach vs ACC
    Music City vs Big1T1en
    Indy vs Big XII

Half of the bowls are against Big1T1en. Throw in the fact that some bowls (Outback) clearly play favorites means the SEC needs to renegotiate some deals. Why not have a system that rotates bowl affiliations in the lesser bowls?

Then again, why not a playoff?

GEAUX TIGERS

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Wow. Didn't realize we play 3 bowls against the Big Ten--probably a good thing because next to the SEC, I've always felt that the Big Ten was the next best conference (Big XII only has the South Division and the ACC seems to be FSU, Miami, VT and then everybody else that can't consistantly challenge for the title)....

Perhaps the Music City Bowl should be against a PAC-10 school??? I figure, it's the SEC's 6th best team, so that means the PAC-10 should send their #2 team to kinda make it fair. :hihi: :thumb:

4. lsu-fan

lsu-fan Freshman

I think the SEC has the best bowl tie-ins overall. The Fiesta is over-hyped and the Orange isn't quite as grand as the Sugar or Rose. Our 2nd and 3rd level bowls are also better than the other bowls floating around out there.

5. G-LSU

G-LSU Founding Member

I agree!! I don't really care what Bowl Game we go to as long as it isn't before New Year's Day....If you are playing before then, your season was average.....I prefer WHO we match up against....like if there was a Playoff System in place......
    :geauxtige :geauxtige
    :geauxtige :geauxtige

6. Berge

Berge Founding Member

The New Year's day argument really holds no bearing anymore.

With the GMAC ([SIZE=-1] Conference USA No. 2 vs. MAC) and International ([/SIZE][SIZE=-1] MAC vs. Big East No. 4 or 5) Bowls on January 6 and 7 respectively.
    Playing in January is no longer an honor or testament to the programs that play.

The Peach Bowl is well deserving of a "January bowl" title, with the ACC #2 vs. SEC. So, basically, if a team in the ACC went undefeated, lost the ACCCG, and did not get a BCS berth (just saying...), they would not play in January. In the meantime, the #3 ACC team would be playing the day after in the Gator Bowl.[/SIZE]

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Not starting anything, but wow, tha'ts truely a statement made by a group of fans (namely US! :D ) that is becoming spoiled with success.. :thumb:

Personally, I've fallen out of favor of looking at Bowl Games based on the date in which they are played (I used to value the post-New Year's bowls a lot more)...but now, I look at the payouts. Obviously, BCS bowls pay out in the millions, but if we're not in one of those in any given season, then I think our season is still a success if we're in a bowl that pays out close to 1 million no matter the date.

8. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

We definately need at least 1 PAC 10 tie-in. Drop one of those Big 10 for a Pac 10 game would be nice. As it stands now the only way LSU will recieve a shot at playing USC is in the NC game or, in some extremely good luck of chance in the Rose Bowl or something along those lines. Still, it looks like a very good bowl tie-in set up to me.