Where was the "extra gear" by Shepard on that breakaway run?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Shep beat the angle, but then looked back. Like two or three times. That's why he was caught. Still a great play. I was shocked though when Barron tackled him.

2. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I agree that he is not a natural receiver yet. I said at the beginning of the season that he is a better threat at RB. He's running lanes have been virutally non-existent due to predictable play-calling before the Bama game and the lack of a passing game. Defenses have been putting 8-9 guys in the box and they key on Shepard when he is in the backfield.

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

My first thought was, "Wow, that #4 must be crazy fast to have been able to catch up to Shepard!"

But I went back just now to rewatch it. My opinion has changed completely - now it's more, "Man, Shepard really is crazy fast, and #4 for Bama just made an awesome play by taking a perfect angle and reaching out at the absolute best possible time to catch Shepard!"

Here's my analysis, for whatever it's worth (not much! :)):

When Shepard (#10 for now on) is crossing the first down marker at the LSU 39 yard line, Bama's defender (#4) is already turned and running in the same direction as #10, in order to be able to cut him off. At this point, #4 is at the LSU 44 yard line, so Shepard is at least 4 yards behind #4.

At the LSU 43.5 yard line, the #4 is continuing to angle towards the spot where #10 will be, and still obviously running in the same direction as #10.
    At this point #4 is at the 45.5 yard line, so #4 has about a 2 yard head start on #10.

After a couple of strides, #10 is at the 47 yard line, and #4 is at the 47.5 yard line, and he's moved a little closer laterally to #10.

When #10 reaches the 49.5 yard line, #4 is right next to him, and they're both angling a bit towards the sideline.

A few strides later, and #10 is across mid-field and his right foot lands at the 44.5 yard line, while #4's right foot hits right on the 45 yard line.

A stride or two later had #10 glancing over his shoulder, and his left foot hits pretty much right at the 42 yard line, while #4's foot hits exactly one yard back at the 43 yard line.

A few strides later seems to show that #10 is no longer gaining ground, and he maintains about a one yard advantage, and that's when #4 reaches out for #10's waist with his right arm/hand. #4 then makes a last-ditch grab for the other side of #10 with his left arm, and makes a touchdown saving tackle.

So all in all, I'd say that Shepard was definitely faster than #4 on that play - faster than I thought when I first watched the play. While we was definitely caught from behind, he started out 4-5 yards behind the defender and was tackled after winding up one yard ahead of the defender. That's not too shabby over a distance of about 30 yards (I'm starting that from the point where Shepard crosses the first down marker, because that's when it's a race between him and #4, and they're both heading in the same direction).

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

You are one to talk.

Go look at some of the doozies that you started in the Sidelines. :dis:

5. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Not sure that "backlash" is quite the correct word. I just call it like I see it. He's the new Trindon. Everyone talks like he walks on water, but really all he's good for is a long gain every three or so games. He goes down on first contact, and doesn't show any of the elusiveness that he's somehow become known for. If you give him a hole, he hits it hard and shows good acceleration, and that's awesome, but he doesn't ever show the ability of making something out of nothing.

And I'm NOT saying he isn't good. He just doesn't seem to live up the expectations that a lot fans talk about. He's a good decoy and an important leader, but he's not a game-breaker.

Just trying to explain my perspective: I've heard talk that he could be Cam Newton or Denard Robinson if given the chance. Those are spectacular players. In my opinion, he's a solid player. But not spectacular. Sorry if that's offensive to anybody. Really not trying to be a d!ck.

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

He has ability in the open field. He won't be a Newton or Robinson. He isn't built for that. He is also a true soph. Revisit after next season when he declares for the NFL Draft.

1 person likes this.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Barron had already been beaten by Randle for a 75-yard TD pass. I think he was determined to not let that happen again and made sure to at least make a final dive for the tackle on Shepard. This time he got close enough.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Mark Barron a safety, shouldn't catch Randle or Shepard. Hell the only people he should be able to catch in both of those situations would be a running back or tight end.

What's crazy is that really the only play that Shepard has been effective in has been that same exact jet sweep.

9. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I think when we finally get some consistency in passing the ball downfield, we will see what Russell Shepard can do.

10. roynav

roynav free your mind

He did not pull up. I DVR'd the game and watched that play about 5 times, initially because I was surprised RR wasnt able to put more distance from Barron, especially since RR was in full stride. Barron had a slight angle on RR, but even so wasn't able to close on him. RR really put it into a higher gear to try and get buy Barron, but Barron also had put on a burst of acceleration. Bottom line is that even though RR had the slightly longer path, Barron still wasnt able to close on him. They both must be very fast dudes, with an ever so slight edge to RR.