Which football game was the best EVER in LSU history?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hpmcdaniel, Feb 5, 2005.

1. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

1) The OU vs LSU game. Obvious.
    2) The Auburn "earthquake" game since it is the first game I remember seeing on TV.
    3) 2001 SEC Championship game

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

For sheer drama, I have to go with 1959 LSU over Ole Miss, 7-3 on Billy Cannon's 89 yd. punt return in the 4th quarter. LSU trailed 0-3, and Ole Miss got their points off a Cannon fumble. He made up for it, big time. I think LSU was ranked #1, and Ole Miss #2, and it was our blood rivals, so that outranks the OU victory in my opinion, cause we had no history with OU (but we didn't win a Nat. Championship in '59).

For sheer satisfaction, 2004 Sugar Bowl, 21-14 over OU for the national championship. #1 vs. #2, for all the marbles, last game of the season, and contractually, you got it if you win it on the field. It doesn't get any simpler or better than that! And we played a great and exciting game!

Best game that ended in defeat for LSU, goes to 1979, Sept. 29, lost to #1 rated Southern Cal in Baton Rouge, LSU 12, USC 17. Charlie Mac's last season as head coach. Not the most talented Tiger team ever, but in my opinion, the guttiest team I ever saw. Standing room only, I was not there, but I heard that start to finish, every down, it was the loudest complete game in history. I listened on the radio, and I think it was right. An outmanned Tiger team played their butts off against the #1 team at the time. I remember Benji Thibodeaux (from Crowley?) and George Atteiah (from Pennsylvania) as our two tackles played big time! LSU lead 12-10 with about 2 minutes to play. We played conservative on offense and ran on a 3rd and long, and had to punt to USC. We had them stopped around midfield and on 4th down they went for a pass. Benji Thibodeaux sacked their QB (Paul McDonald), but he was called for a face mask penalty, and USC got a first down (a fair call as I remember). They went on in and scored with seconds to play (McDonald to Calvin Sweeney, both all americans). Crowd stayed and cheered the team a LONG time.

That same season, LSU faced #1 rated Florida State and lost by 5, 19-24 in Baton Rouge. A few weeks after that, LSU faced #1 rated Alabama and lost by 3 in Baton Rouge, 0-3. Its the only season LSU faced 3 #1 rated teams that I remember, and lost 3 times by a total of 13 points. THAT TEAM HAD GUTS! I thought it was McClendon's best year of coaching, along with 1969 team.

Best game I saw in person, 1982 vs. Florida St, LSU wins 55-21 and gets an Orange Bowl bid. In the second half, one series they ran Dalton Hilliard 10 straight carries averaging 8 yds a pop and scored a TD. After FSU's 3 and out, we ran Garry James about 10 straight carries and he scored a TD. Great offensive line play and running. We lost to Nebraska 17-12 in the Orange Bowl, and Rich Glover, their defensive tackle ate up our offensive line. We couldn't run on Nebraska that year, but our defense held Nebraska better than anyone else did that year. (Next best game in person was 1969 victory over Auburn, 21-20, when linebacker Bill Thompson broke through and blocked the Auburn extra pt. attempt, giving the Tigers the edge. George Bevan and Mike Anderson were both All American linebackers, Bevan in 69 and Anderson in 70, and Tommy Cassanova played cornerback and shut down the Pat Sullivan to Terry Beasley connection. Great collection of talent on defense!) Unfortunately, I've only attended about a half dozen games in Tiger Stadium.

Sentimental favorite, LSU 28, Notre Dame 7 in Baton Rouge, 1971, payback for their 3-0 win in South Bend in 1970. We missed two makable field goals and should have beaten ND in '70.

Other sentimental favorite, SEC championship over Ga. in 2003. Big time whooping over media's darlings Bulldogs!

There you have it.

3. Fightin4LSU

Fightin4LSU Founding Member

Only can go by what I have experienced in my 25 short years of existance, but....

So NC game obviously! I was so pumped up for this game, when JV broke the long run on the first play from scrimmage, I busted into tears. I was very emotional the whole game, and the rest of that night. It was the greatest.

2) Beating #1 Florida in 97. Herb Tyler was king that night.
    3) OT vs Tennessee
    4) OT vs Miss St in the same season as the Tennessee game.

4. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Best game was the NC Sugar Bowl title game in 2004. Sadly wasn't at that game.

I was on the sidelines for the LSU-USC 1979 game. That was the single most exciting sporting event I've ever been at and I've been to many including the Ali-Spinks rematch in New Orleans when Ali regained the heavyweight championship for the record setting third time. I even got a chance to participate in an interview with Ali after the fight.

Been to many pro football and college games but nothing comes close to the LSU/USC '79 game.

5. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

I will give this in 4 parts:

1. The most important games;
    2004 LSU-OU
    For the national championship.
    2003 SEC Championship game
    LSU vs Georgia rematch.
    2001 SEC Championship game
    LSU vs Tennessee

2. Games with the most drama;
    2002 LSU vs Kentucky
    The Bluegrass miracle
    1972 LSU vs Ole Miss
    The 4 second game
    1959 LSU vs Ole Miss
    The Hollween nightmare

3. The Fun games to be at
    1988 LSU vs Auburn
    The earthquake game
    1982 LSU vs FSU
    One for the Oranges
    1997 LSU vs Florida
    Number 1 falls
    1970 LSU vs Ole Miss
    The Archie who game
    1971 LSU vs Notre Dame
    Jones to Hamilton game
    1993 LSU vs Alabama
    The flying pigs game
    1982 LSU vs Alabama
    We beat the Bear

4 The games we lost, but could hold our heads high
    1979 LSU vs #1 USC
    Down to the wire with number 1, the loudest death valley ever was.
    1970 LSU vs #1 Notre Dame
    The headline said it all
    2002 LSU vs Texas
    With 7 starters hurt or out LSU still stay in the game

6. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Most significant-NC game
    Most tense-NC game
    Best Game for me in attendance-LSU 7--Auburn 6...when Auburn scored the 2nd FG, I told a friend "that's it, we'll never score a TD on this defense". Just like in school, I was wrong :)

7. hpmcdaniel

hpmcdaniel Founding Member

Well I am with you.. I was there too. :D

Heather

8. b L e S e U r

b L e S e U r Founding Member

1. 2003 georgia in tiger stadium
    2. knocking off #1 Florida
    3. NC game
    4. earthquake game
    5. 2003 Georgia sec championship
    6. Blue greass miracle
    7. matt mauck sec championship v. tennessee
    8.Josh reed vs. alabama

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

My picks exactly - mostly because I was in attendance at everyone. Yay me. :hihi: :thumb:

Greatest game in Tiger stadium, for me, was the earthquake game. You've heard the stroies, but unless you were there, you can't possibly imagine how loud it was.

I'll throw the '97 Fla. game in there too at No. 4 even though I had to witness this one from the 'bleeds.

10. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

I wasn't born yet in 1959 but I think that Halloween nite game w/ Cannon's run ranks right up there w/ 04 NC Sugar Bowl. After those two, you can lump in some oldies but goodies like the early 70s win against OM on last second TD, 1979 loss to USC (I attended that game, unbelievable atmosphere in TS), early 70s win over ND 28-7, along w/ later classics like 1982 shellacking of Fla St to get Orange Bowl bid, Earthquake Game, 97 win over #1 Fla, and the OT wins in 2001 along w/ SEC championship win over Tenn (I attended that game, a lot of fun.)

Another game that sticks in my mind as memorable was the 1982 20-10 win over Bama at Bama, I was in school at LSU at the time, and we hadn't beaten Bama in quite some years. That was a big deal.

Oh crap, how could I forget the Bluegrass Miracle, I was at that game and the Henderson TD catch was right in front of me. Unbelievable scene w/ Ky students storming the field from the other end zone, not realizing LSU had scored a TD, fireworks going off, and the Ky coach getting the Gatorade bath. Also, I big win for LSU was in mid-60s against an undefeated Ark. team in the Cotton Bowl, and of course the 59 Sugar Bowl win over Clemson for 1958 NC.