Which freshmen/newcomers do you think will contribute this year in football?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by reb_tiger_fan, Jun 8, 2004.

1. reb_tiger_fan

reb_tiger_fan Freshman

I'm think Early Doucet will help for some depth at reciever. Anyone have any ideas?

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The biggest contributors should be (in order of impact):

1) Claude Wroten
    2) Mario Stevenson
    3) Early Doucet
    4) Ali Highsmith
    5) Xavier Carter

Others to make impact more on special teams are:

1) Sanders
    2) Steltz
    3) Hawkins (if he is academically eligible)

I see a ton of red-shirting this year.

3. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

Early Doucet will be the LEAST likely

to contribute until his hamstring shows otherwise. Sorry guys but I have seen too many recurrent hamstring problems, including my own. Obviously, I hope I am wrong but that is my opinion.

4. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I would put Highsmith ahead of stevenson. Highsmith seems to be the guy at LB. Stevenson is the third CB or nickelback (<--Saban calls it something else).
    Doucet and Carter will see plenty of PT, especially if Amp's rehab continues slowly.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

This is the first I've heard of a hamstring problem. How severe is it?

6. conradj

conradj Founding Member

That was during the season. I was under the impression he was healthy now.

7. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

He is "healthy" because he is

not running all out against competition. A hamstring problem is not cured because it no longer hurts at rest or even sprinting at 90%. He will be healthy when he can continually compete at his fastest level without re-injuring it. Until then, I have my doubts. See Donte Stallworth.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

islstl, the correct players no doubt, and I only think lie others that Ali Highsmith will be a starter so he needs to be up there with Claude at 1A. And hopefully Tiger's hamstring injury does heal properly, there have been so many great sprinter type athkletes that have never been able to perform up to their talent because of that injury. Anybody remember the Saints had another receiver that was drafted very early, name of Burton, that never amounted to anything due to the same problem.

9. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I could not have given a better example...

Hell, Wade Richey was an NFL caliber kicker, but his sophomore year, he hurt his groin early on...It never truly, totally, & fully healed during his entire Tiger career. Some will say it did, but the inside scoop says that the fella never felt right, ever.

Muscle pulls other than quads in the leg are quite dangerous...When it comes to hammys, its better to rest on the side of caution...Rest it about a month AFTER it feels totally healthy. With the rest he's probably getting, he's no doubt unable to train at a high level, which means he's going to report in less than peak physical condition. No slight on him, just the facts.

I look for Carter to come in and - if the kid can catch - light the world on fire. I also think that Amp - if he gets healthy - will amaze. But, Bowe, Davis, and Green are good enough to dominate with an equally devastating o-line and running game...

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I think Highsmith shares duty at SAM. That's why I had him behind the other 3. I think Early has too much damn talent and will be a starter either at the beginning of the season or shortly thereafter.

And I am saying impact players here, not merely playing time. Stevenson will make some critical plays for us in the secondary this year.

Who is this Burton guy? How far back does that go? I been following the Saints since 78 and I don't remember that name.