Which QB looked best in the Spring Game? I missed it.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Apr 24, 2004.

1. max

max Founding Member

Any other highlights appreciated.

2. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

Each one had their moments(good and bad)

I can see why the coaches have said they have not separated themselves. I will support whoever plays. I now agree with the posters who have said to put Russell in and let him learn. He will make mistakes but has incredible potential. Flynn just does not look like a passing QB to me. Odd throwing motion and not near the zip as Russell. Randall has the experience but is up and down. He still sometimes throws that float ball that goes over everyone's head. Will be a tough call for Saban.

3. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

Very slight edge to Russel in this game. They all looked a little shakey to me.

4. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

All I got to say about the QB situation is Matt Mauck is a TREMENDOUS loss. A hell of alot more than most folks posted here after his decision to not come back to LSU. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

5. BB

BB Founding Member

I left a little early, but here is what I thought: after telling everyone all week that Flynn would be the most impressive I have to say he was not (have mercy). I was most impressed with Russell - Randall made some very nice throws over the top and one very tough and long TD pass . Russell threw some great balls both short and long. Punting was a nightmare. Much more to say, but I'll let others post about the QB's...

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I have to agree with the above posters, the passing game has a long long way to go before we are ready for game one. The timing and accuracy of all three left a ton to be desired. Like has been stated many times before on this site Russell has a cannon of an arm and can get the ball there in a hurry he just can't hit what he is throwing at most of the time. From what I have seen in the past and from what I saw today it is indeed a very very wide open race and no one has stepped up to stake a claim on #1. It is still very early but you would like to see someone at least become semi accurate in the passing game and show the ability to improve. We will need much beter QB play to defend the title. We look absolutely stacked at CB. Stevenson is going to fit in nicely and we have a handful of young untested DB's that have yet to get playing time. Wroten is quick and may fill a void at Tackle. I expected to hear Ali Highsmiths name more often but didn't really get a good feel of how he is doing. It was hard to get a good judge of the job the recievers did as the ball rarely hit them in the hands. Addai still needs to learn how to hang on to the ball after the catch. Looked like the Defensive line got the best of the O line today but with the split squads it doesn't tell you much. Ally Broussard could have a big year he looked pretty good early. No injuries which is a great thing and Saban didn't blow a gasket so it couldn't have been too bad. Looked like your typical spring game except for the halfback pass for a TD. :geaux: :lsug: :champs:

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

JUST MY OPINION: Randall clearly showed the poise of a veteran qb. If the season started tomorrow he would play until the score was out of hand (hopefully in LSUs favor).

Our main strength continues to be the defense. If this had been a real game there would have been 12-15 sacks.

8. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

We can still win titles with an average QB and an incredible defense.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Flynn never looked settled. He was visably confused as the coaches sent in plays. Russell looked a little reckless, and Randall looked pretty good. Noone set the world on fire. Russell came off as having the most upside.

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I completely agree. None looked as good as Mauck did last spring game. I think we will be okay. Kicking game is scary.