Which QB looked best in the Spring Game? I missed it.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Apr 24, 2004.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I don't think anyone expected much out of a spring game where you have the teams split and the summer and fall yet to go, but I wouldn't say the QB's looked fine they looked like it was indeed spring ball. All three should make significant improvement in the months ahead. :geaux: :lsug: :champs:

2. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

The attitude of fans from all schools toward their team's spring game is always disappointment. If you look around other forums you see every team's fans complaining. It's just the nature of spring games.

When I said they looke fine I meant they look fine for spring ball. All in all I think LSU, because of coach Saban, looks better right now than many other teams.

Most of the disappointment comes from false expectations that people have built in their head.

If this team continues to practice hard and stays healthy they should be once again playing for the SEC Championship and if the cards are aligned, possibly another NC. The defense looks as good or better than last year and the offense is coming along fine.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I cannot understand how some of you guys absolutely overreact to every little thing. This was an intrasquad scrimmage between friends. Just a glorified practice session where Saban just wants to get his players some reps and not get anybody hurt. Get a grip people.

4. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

People that visit this board everyday been waiting for the chance to see the team in action again, whether its a glorified scrimmage or not. What good is the forum if we should'nt critique the game and get as many honest opinions as possible? Don't you want to hear from others to see if their assessment of the team is similar to what you saw out there today?

5. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

IM in shock that LSU is preseason #4 w/a ? at QB. That was generous.

6. Capt Fun

Capt Fun Founding Member

The only thing I am concerned about right now is....where the hell is the eye of the Tiger....didn't like the midfield or endzone logos... :D :D :cuss: :cuss:

7. Soap

Soap Founding Member

Hee I agree. The receivers for the most part were covered good. Russell threw a couple deep balls that were right on, but the receiver was covered. All QBs were inconsisent at times, but Randall and Flynn looked like the most inconsisent.

Randall made a beautiful TD pass then would throw is next pass straight into the ground. Flynn was off mark on most of his passes, mostly behind his receivers.

I don't know who the starter will be, but Russell reminds me of Rohan when I saw him as a freshman. I'm impressive and I think he has the best upside. Now whether that makes him the man for this season or not I dunno.

8. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I only stayed until halftime cuz it started getting boring and it was hot, and it was kinda irritating that they only left one side open for seating....so I ended up sitting kinda high up. I got my 3 bucks out of it though and I noticed 4 things:

1. Matt Mauck was a pretty huge loss
    2. Marcus Randall will start...as much as I hate to say it, he was the best man out there IMHO...from what I saw anyway
    3. Jamarcus Russell has a gun but he isn't that accurate, and he seemed kinda tense in the pocket.....solution: experience
    4. Corey Webster makes a pretty good WR

9. max

max Founding Member

I got a tape of the Spring Game.

I looked very closely at the quarterbacks. I would even rewind to look at the throws a second time. I don't know which game the rest of you saw. I thought the three quarterbacks clearly separated themselves.
    Jamarcus Russell looked the best of the three and should be the starter if it were based on this game. Marcus Randall was clearly number two and Matt Flynn was the third best. Flynn looked nervous but I saw potential. Randall looks like he does not have that much talent at the quarterback position in the SEC. He played pretty good, and if Randall is the starter (like everyone is saying) I think that we can win games with him using the same game plan as the second half of last year. Great defense, excellent running game, bubble screens, and the occasional deep pass.
    Russell could have been better but was clearly the best. If you then factor in that he is a freshman and Randall is a senior, it is not even close. I know it will hurt Randall's feelings if he is not the starter, but Russell is the best quarterback for the job this season. That said, everyone (coaches, media, and many posters) seemed to be confident that Randall will start. I did think that it was intriguing that Saban mentioned only Russell during the interview to start the second half and that Saban moved Russell to Randall's team during the second half. Randall looked worried when that happened.

Clayton had a bittersweet/wistful look in his eyes as he watched the spring game and said good-bye to LSU. His decision to attend LSU was crucial to building LSU into a national powerhouse.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason