White guilt keeping us from winning wars?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LsuCraig, May 3, 2006.

1. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

This is a very interesting column from Steele from the WSJ. Not sure if anyone has seen this yet......I started reading it with my eyes half rolling.....but as I kept reading it made sense. This applies not only to wars but to many facets of our policies....like immigration for instance. He beings up that we can't really talk about the problems facing our country because we will have everyone jumping down our throats with chants of racism.

And when we go to war, we can't really fight because we're trying to make everyone believe it's a humanitarian mission.....not a war, not occupation.

We've talked about this before.....we can't really fix the problems because people really can't discuss what the REAL problems are.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008318

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Communication is a real problem. With all this PC and such, it has become unaccaptable to say certain things regardless of their truth. I think we're on our way away from this, but it'll be a little while.

Does anyone hear feel bad about being white? I can't possibly understand that. I never owned slaves. Why the hell should I feel bad?

3. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I agree with you. I don't feel bad but I can see why the policymakers, the ones who could really effect change on many fronts, are leery to discuss the real problems. Take what Bill Cosby is getting as an example. Now take what Bill Cosby is getting if he were a politician.

I mean, does anyone need an explanation of what the problems are in NO? A perfect example of avoiding the real issues while things collapse. Or immigration policy.

We can't fight a war anymore without it turning into a PR deal......we can't fight because we're right. We have to fight to save people from genocide, or free a nation from tyranny. How bout just kicking someone's ass because we can and we're right and not worrying about the reprecutions anymore.

4. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

I also agree about this whole idea of how other culture see us. The US is put on a stage when it come to these things and mainly what the people see is a bunch of white men messing thing up. The reason i say this is because that is the only thing that the media airs. Whatever catches the most eyeballs is what runs, whether it is good or bad. So the when the US fights a war, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't.

5. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

My poli sci teacher was talking about this the other day and how when he wrote his first scholary paper he was told he had to change the world terrorists to insurgents because those terrorists don't view themselves as terrorists and it shows a bias against them.

Hell no I don't view bad about being white. It's only a damn skin color it isn't something that really means anything. Plus, I never owned slaves, none of my family ever owned slaves screw people for telling me I need to feel guilty because of slavery and the fact that the white man is the most powerful group in this country.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Feeling guilty for being white is as stupid as being proud of being white.

7. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

:thumb:

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

While I agree with you, I see the reason it was originally created. It was meant not only as a source of pride for black people, but to try & inspire them to try and achieve something great as well. However, I doubt it has had it's intended effect and has only added further to a mental segregation between the races.

9. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

What is wrong with being proud to be white? Are you ashamed of your color? Wait, let me guess, you are so refined that it doesn't matter to you. You proclaim yourself to be completely color blind. You are better than everyone else because you have risen past the barriers of race. I mean, after all, the only difference between black and white is the color of skin. Right?

Whatever.

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Being "proud" about the color you happened to be born just seems remarkably foolish. I see honkie homeless guys all of the time, and if they're proud just because their parents happened to be white...well, I guess their pride is misplaced.

For the record, I'm colorblind, and consider myself better than other people of all races. Not because of my race, but because of my greatness. I am NLMD.