Who are the best coaches in college football?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, May 29, 2005.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I also don't think Fulmer is a very good coach. He's managed to get some good teams, but I don't know what it is about that guy - he just seems like the person you wonder how he got to that position because he's obviously over his head.

I like Petrino's position at number 20. His offensive coaching abilities seem to be the real deal, but he isn't proven in a major conference & hasn't been around long. His personality traits also seem to leave something to be desired.

I think A&M's coach is better than his teams are showing right now. They should be seriously competing for BIG XII championships soon.

Virginia Tech's coach - overrated.

2. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I would like to agree but I think the fact that since Fulmer took over UT in 1992 they have the 4th best winning % in the entire country, says something.

He got the UGA monkey off his back last year too and continually beats USC.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1992&end=2004&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

3. tigerfan1303

tigerfan1303 Founding Member

I agree Tubberville is ranked to high

4. john randolph

john randolph Founding Member

Lets just wait and see how Pete does without his offensive guru Chow calling the plays. That statement is way too broad to make.

5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

The thing that makes Ferentz so good is how he selects and handles his assistants, all of whom have been with him from the start (the lean years).
    Chris Doyle is, perhaps, the #1 conditioning coach in America. Players come to Iowa knowing they will be "doylized" for two years before they get a start. There have been very few exceptions, although some skill positions have started earlier.
    And then there's Norm Parker, our DC who came to us via Vandy.
    Here's a write up on him from his tenure there:

"The 1997 Southeastern Conference Defensive Coordinator of the Year, Parker served in that capacity at Vanderbilt University for two seasons and as linebackers coach there for four seasons. In 1997, Vanderbilt’s defense led the SEC and ranked ninth in the nation as all six seniors on that defensive unit went on to sign NFL contracts."

Parker suffers from advanced diabetes. He wants to finish out his career with Ferentz (2012)... we'll see. Although he doesn't have the mystique of Chow, losing him at Iowa would also be a major hit. Ferentz knows how to motivate players and identify assistants. It would be hell to lose him.

6. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

I believe LSU's Strength and Conditioning Coach Moffit is probably tied if not superior to Iowa's SoC coach Doyle. Just count how many 4th Quarter comeback drives we had last year. Had a DB not made a mistake, Iowa would have been another. We out last everyone.

7. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Based solely on the fact LSU hired my absolute first choice, Les Miles is vastly underrated on this thread. If folks profess to be college football fans and watched any Big XII 11 AM kickoffs the past four seasons, the coaching abilities of Miles are obvious. When considering the circumstances he was hired under, the wolves howling LSU football is fading, he has done a remarkable job. He's hired outstanding coaches, his recruiting class was stellar, and he smoozes with the best of 'em. And after this season is over, I expect legions of LSU fans to shout in unison "... uh, yeah, but he did it Saban's talent. I ain't convinced!"

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Perhaps true... however, Iowa recruits ...should say has historically recruited... two star TE's and bulks them into quick linemen and makes linebackers out of running backs, etc. It's different when your stable is full of 4 stars to begin with. It will be a few years (if ever) before Iowa gets the consistent type of recruits LSU gets. 2005's class was our first top ten class ever and we did it in the same year ND was disjointed and tOSU was dealing with Clarett accusations. We hope it continues, but the guarrantees are few.
    What Doyle has done with these kids is outstanding and he is widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best, in the country.

9. max

max Founding Member

I kind of became an Iowa fan due to the Capital One Bowl. Hopefully, they make it to the Rose Bowl this season undefeated and get the crap kicked out of them by undefeated LSU.

10. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I'm not so sure that Fulmer got the monkey entirely off of his back last year.

I will alway remember that game as a contest that was given to Tennessee by the refs.

Fulmer is 1-3 against Richt. This year will be huge, as it is in Knoxville where UGA has won the last two games. Richt has two weeks to prepare for this game. I pretty much think that it will determine the SEC East.