Who are the best coaches in college football?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, May 29, 2005.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

There are some excellent coaches on that list and you can reshuffle the deck many different ways (I think Pat Hill, for example, is a top 10 coach, easy).

Ferentz as #1 is bold, but it's hard to argue that he's not a flat-out great coach. I prefer guys with NFL lineage who are (unlike Mack Brown) actually respected for their coaching and Xs and Os abilities by current pro coaches.

2. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Be careful what you wsh for.

If Iowa, LSU and USC all end up undefeated, where do you think LSU will end up playing?

3. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Ferentz may be a great coach who has taken little talent to great talent but he still has yet to win the Big 10 Conference and/or reach a BCS Bowl

4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Ferentz may be a great coach who has taken little talent to great talent but he still has yet to win the Big 10 Conference and/or reach a BCS Bowl

Although we lost... crushed in the 4th qtr may be a better way of putting it... we did play USC in the BCS Orange Bowl in 2003... and we have been the Big Ten Co-Champ twice in the past three years.

5. clair

clair Rockets

I agree 100% that Caroll isn't #1...

Without Chow and Orgeron, he will be hurting, because these guys did a lot of his recruiting, and well his dirty work!

I agree with the fella who argued Les Miles!

Anyone who has seen Les in action knows his intensity and his game-smarts!

If he can keep bringing the players, he will win, because his game IQ is as good as anyone...

Just look at his track record aginast OU

6. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I don't believe in that Co-Champions crap...you either win it or not.

But, fair enough...not sure why I forgot about the Orange Bowl 2 years ago.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Actually, I don't believe much in it either. Michigan beat us last year and deserved the bigger bowl. However, in 2002, we didn't play tOSU... we both went undefeated in conference... true co-champions.
    (And, yes, I'm all for getting another team in the Big 10 and having a conference championship game)

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I don't think Stoops can be given #1 consideration given the miserable failures in the last 2 NC games. Last year his team was not ready to play. No excuses there.

9. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I wouldn't put Stoops at #1. True, his teams have played in 4 post season championships the past two years. I wouldn't say we were embarrassed in the Sugar Bowl against LSU. We had a chance to tie it up late in the game if we would have just kept running the ball.

We were embarrassed in the the Big 12 Championship game against KSU and in the Orange Bowl against USC, where it was apparent that we weren't ready to play.

He is still a top coach. I would say Pete Carroll is #1 until he's knocked off the pedestal.