Who are we, really?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by P&G_wheelz007, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

I keep hearing about our "2 QB system", but what I really see is a "2 offense system".

Lee comes in and runs a balanced, efficient attack and shows great poise and leadership (keep in mind it was LEE that hustled the team back to the line after every play in our last-minute drives).

JJ comes in and it's either a dive, option, or rollout. The rollouts are effective. The dives work okay when the defense isn't stacked up. The options are hit and miss at best. He is lost at the line of scrimmage and I guarantee the players are just waiting for the next series when Lee gets to play.

I can't complain much about the defense, with the lone exception of its tendency to allow the short passing game in the fourth quarter.

Special teams are a two-sided coin. The return team has done a pretty incredible job. PP's muff was a fluke by a single player. The coverage teams are kinda..."meh", to me.

Penalties are a problem, but I can't remember an LSU team that played penalty-free, although this year seems to be better than it's been. I don't see multiple personal fouls in a game this year, for instance. Holding hasn't been much of an issue. False starts and off-sides are just a byproduct of aggression, and I'll take that bit of bad with the good.

That's MY assessment.

2. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

We are a young well coached team that is coming together just like the coach planned!

We will go 14-0 and win it all - just as we planned!

3. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

I dunno... we did give up big drives a few times (UNC, Tenn, UF) in the 4th quarter. Our offense had to bail them out a couple of times. Our defense is great, but there are times that they give up points at critical times in the game.

4. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

True...but you know...in those games, the offense spotted the other team the points that allowed them to get ahead in the first place. No defense is perfect, and one or two scoring drives per game is expected. When you tack on freebies by shoddy offensive play, you can't blame the defense for the end results.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

So, you don't think that players like Russell Shepard and Stevan Ridley are leaders on the offense?

Most of your post was really negative. If we actually would win out (I doubt it happens, but it certainly could), how would you look back on this season?

6. Pintoracer

Pintoracer Somewhere in The Matrix

This +1

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

All of the above. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

We are undisciplined at times, we DEFINITELY play up or down to the competition, and we haven't gelled yet...but I think we will. So all of the above.

8. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

We will know more after this weekend.

9. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

My post was not negative IMO, just the part about lack of leadership on offense, which is just being realistic.

If we win out at the rate we are going now, I would say, as I stated in my post that pure talent & defense carried us(Which that very well COULD happen). I said we have talent on offense but anybody who scouts college football knows we are not using that talent they way we should be and if we were, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

If we win out because Lee really steps up into that role, then I would have to give Lee some credit.

As a former player, and coach, I am still highly involved in High School Youth Summer Camps for Football, you need as much as anything from your QB - Leadership! - It goes A LONG WAY when you break the huddle.

I am not taking away from RS or SR, but it comes with the territory of the QB to lead and direct the offense & majority of the time, The Team. I think that J-Lee can do that, but the way JJ pouts and lashes out during the game is only hurting him & the team by displaying lack of leadership.

Again, I never said that winning out is NOT possible, it very much is, even without leadership from the QB position, and I credit that to this team being THAT Talented and having the heart they do.

I apologize if you felt I came across negative, I am only being realistic....I love my tigers.

10. kluke

kluke Founding Member

What he said.