Who Dat (N.O) vs Who Dey (Cincinnati)

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by fanatic, Dec 2, 2009.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

By now, everyone knows Cincinnati stole our victory chant and perverted it for their own needs, but I want to know if they acknowledge stealing it or do they claim they invented it? Does the rest of the country know that it's 'ours'?

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Saints fans stole who dat from Junkyard Dog fans who stole it from Southern fans who had stolen it from Jazz music and vaudeville acts of the early 1900's.

Who dey didn't come along until 1981. Bengirls fans like to say who dey predates who dat because the saints didn't officially use the cheer until 1983 and Bum Phillips. Bengirls fans are also dumb.

3. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Excellent explanation.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Patterson High School fans did the Who Dat cheer in 1979 when Dalton Hilliard played for them. I heard it revived at their playoff game at St. James this year; very cool to hear it again. I've heard of the jazz/vaudeville origin as well.

Notice my new sig:

1 person likes this.
  5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I'm not so sure about that. Of course, I don't live in Cincinnati and the media is nowhere near like it is today, but I'm pretty sure Cincinnati didn't start using it until the mid to late 80's. No way they were saying it before us.

Funny how they evolve, then come back full circle over the years. First, it was 'Who Dat, then it was 'Cha-Ching', now it's back to 'Who Dat'. Am I missing anything else used over the years?

6. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

LSU used it in 1981. Got a video of the basketball team with Rudy Macklin, et al, using "Who dat talkin bout beatin dem Tigers" sung to Double Dutch Bus.

7. BengalGirl

BengalGirl Freshman

Here is a great history of the term... since you are not from Cincinnati, I will enlighten you.

The History of the "Who-Dey" chant - Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums

Enjoy!

8. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I have a friend from Patterson who says the same thing.

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

An article from a clueless writer in Cincinnati is supposed to convince us that Bengal fans started who dat with their who dey cheer? Nice try but here are a couple of articles that you might want to send to the author of your story so he will know what he is talking about next time.

Democratic Underground - Origins of "Who Dat?" - Democratic Underground

Saints Nation: Saints Nation: Origins of WHO DAT?!

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I first heard that cheer at an LSU basketball game in 1974...at the very beginning of the Dale Brown era...and I'm sure it wasn't made up on the spot back then.