who do we want to face?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by upsizin, Jun 3, 2005.

1. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

Im assuming we dont want to see rice if at all possible, but in our potential super regional, who would you want to play? tulane, bama, or ULL? which is the best match-up for us?

2. Seabriscut

Seabriscut Founding Member

Tulane for rivalry reasons. ULL is my second favorite college team, so I'd like to see them play. Alabama for best chance to win.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Couldn't have said it more perfectly. I know a lot of us dispise ULL, but in terms of every sport other than perhaps softball, they don't have the "horses" to stay with us, but occassionally, their baseball program is very, very good.

They have really done a whole lot with their baseball program while not having a fraction of the resources that us or even Tulane has, to work with.

So, to give my answer to the question stated, I would want to play ULL.

1. If Tulane falls in their regional, it means that we'd likely be a Super Regional host. Tulane wins, it's off to Zephyr Stadium and dispite the larger stadium and additional seating, don't count on the Wave allowing us so much as one more additional seat than what the NCAA requires they give us.

2. If 'Bama wins, then that means that we could potentionally see a CWS without a team from Louisiana all together (thought I think we could beat 'Bama a little more easily than what we could Tulane, and in some aspects ULL.

So, basically, above everything, I'd like Tulane to fall, but if they don't, then I'm actually ok with it and hopefully we take care of business in our own regional, advance, and then take care of Tulane. After all, if we're going to beat them, it doesn't matter if it's in New Orleans or Ohmaha.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That may be the perception but it's not the reality. ULL hasn't even made a regional appearance since 2002. They had 2 good years culminating with a CWS appearance in 2000 or 2001. Aside from that, they are a mediocre program. In 2003, they hosted the conference tournament but didn't even qualify to play in it. Bring 'em on.

5. bschne1

bschne1 Freshman

if we play Tulane it won't be at Zephyr field. Espn is carrying the game so it has to start on a friday night and the Zephyrs have a game that night. Thus the super regional will be played at Turchin Stadium no matter what.

6. BostonBengal

Well, ULL is batting .330 as a TEAM with 54 HR's and a 3.82 team ERA.... That's HARDLY mediocre.... From an over-all college baseball standpoint, they've been to the CWS, advanced to 2 Super Regionals, hosted a regional, participated in another all in the span of 6 or 7 seasons. And that is NOT "mediocre". Obviously, if you compare them to LSU (and I don't think I need to list all of our achievements--we're all aware of them already), then of course they come across as "mediocre".... But I think they're a good program.

Especially when you consider that our team BA is .292 and our team ERA is 3.82.

I think we still beat ULL if paired with them in a regional, but I really wouldn't feel that they "shocked the world" IF they get past Tulane.

7. Carface

Carface What the...?

They were saying on the radio that it's not a lock but very likely that it will still be at Zephyr. They'll just have to do some schedule changing. Probably move the Zephyrs to a day game, or something.

8. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

I'd like to see a bunch of 8 year-olds that we could distract with popsicles and koolaid, maybe a real hot Mom or two with bitchin' minivans....

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

2 words: Sun Belt!

10. BostonBengal

Yeah...So? And Rice and Cal State Fullerton were from Major conferences when they won the CWS?

By the way, ULL 5 , 'Bama 6 Bottom 6

This is baseball for crying out loud....A top team from a small conferece can surely hang and beat, someone from a major conference. How else to you explain a team like Furman (care to take a WILD guess what tiny conference they're from) taking national seed Georgia Tech to extra innings before losing 4-5??

How about Centenary, Sabanfan??? Or Southern??? Man, you're someone that is never, ever humbled by anything.