Who is on the hot seat in the SEC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Jul 23, 2004.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Sorry 'bout that, PT...I should have put the little :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: 's
    after that last post. Keep posting in good health.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ah, so its a money/influence thing. I understand.

Our fat cat donor is a former Oil Company CEO who has laid down millions, but his interests have been about building impressive campus facilities with his name on them. He stays out of campus politics, at least overtly. Seems like a nice guy.

When I win the Powerball, I'm going to build Red Hall, lease a stadium sky box, buy some influence, and fire any coach that TigerEducated doesn't like.

OK, maybe just the sky box.

3. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Thanks... I was trying to be good. :grin: :grin:

4. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

I say Zook

my reasoning being that the fans at UF are going to get unruly if they do not win the SECE. Their new president said the FIRST time he ever logged into his new UF e-mail he already had an inbox full of e-mails wanting Zook fired.

Tubberville can survive a 7 win season with ease, I believe, due to last seasons coaching search debacle. I could be way off there. But Zook is intensly disliked by many Gator fans who have never liked him and will hardly give him a fair shake. I eat lunch from time to time with a few and its hilarious. They just have no confidence in him at all. Zook is just too darn goofy. Something else I've noticed is how they dance around the Spurrier issue. Its like they don't want to say Spurrier is coming back, because you might laugh at them, but if you plant the seed by seriously saying something to that effect, they are like little kids at Christmas, and you can see just how much they wish he'd come back. :cry:

:lol:

Pat Dooley said on the radio that Spurrier told him he does want to coach but NEVER again at UF. haha.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I don't know if Terry Bowden would agree with your statement about Lowder's influence being overblown. But I also agree that they don't fire TT this season at least, to soon after all that mess.

Holtz I agree is the hotseat, if the Cocks have another bad year he is gone, he will retire so that he doesn't get fired IMO.

Fulmer is safe, the UT people love him, and they should. He's the best recruiter they've ever had over there although he had a couple of average classes and let the QB position get stuck w/o a real good talent after havibng a few years where he brought in some very good ones.

Shula will also be on the hot seat somewhat as those fans just don't believe that sanctions should hurt the program at all because they are Alabama.

Zook is in big trouble as the UF fans are not satisfied with anything less than an SEC title and a top 5 national ranking. Even if he were to 10-2 many of the biggest boosters would be screaming for his firing.

So I thing Holtz gets canned first, followed by Zook and then Shula. TT holds on for 2 more years and Auburn hires Cutcliffe just to piss off Ole Miss fans and UT fans.

6. AUDave

AUDave Founding Member

SEC Coaches on the Hot Seat

My Opinion/Guess:

BAMA - I think Shula's grace period will last two more seasons. However, if bama has another losing season this year then the grumbling will start.

ARK - Nutt's coaching seat is nice and comfortable right now.

AUB - Barring a total collapse (losing record), I don't think that Tuberville's job is in jeopardy this season. However, the rumor that I keep hearing is that if Auburn has a good season, Tuberville will seek another coaching job elsewhere and will be lifting his middle finger toward the Auburn Administration and Board of Trustees on his way out of town. If the rumor comes to pass, who could blame him.

LSU - I think it is safe to say that Saban has the most job security in the SEC right now.

UM - Cutcliffe might have some serious problems if Ole Miss reverts back to their traditional level of play this season. The Rebel fans all seem to believe that their team is loaded with talent and the expectations are higher than ever. I don't think Cutcliffe will lose his job if their season goes south, but it will definitely put him on the hot seat for the next year.

MST - Croom has a big grace period to work with.

UF - Zook will probably be fired if they win less than 8 games. If the gators win at least 8 games, then I think Foley will give him one more year to get his team back to the SECCG. If Zook can't do it by 2005, then in my opinion, he will definitely be looking for a job elsewhere.

UGA - No doubt that Richt has the 2nd most job security in the SEC. Richt has done an exceptional job coaching at Georgia, but the reason I put him below Saban is that UGA fans suffer more from the "instant gratification/what have you done for me lately" syndrome than any other fan base in the SEC besides bama fans.

UT - Fulmer is secure at UT as long as he can eliminate the blowout losses and keep the NCAA away.

USC - I think Holtz has the third most job security in the SEC. The cocks have never fielded a competitive football team before Holtz showed up. I think what he has done with that program is quite remarkable. That university could not criticize Lou Holts with a straight face much less terminate his employment. As long as they win one game a year then he would have them better off than where they were when he arrived. I think Lou stays as long as he wants.

UK - Still under probation grace period but even without probation looming over the program, the expectations are minimal.

VU - Coaching seat is comfortable and job security is high.

Well. That is the way I see it. So I if I had to guess which coaches are most likely to change jobs at the end of the season (quit or be fired), I would have to say it would be Tuberville, Zook or Holtz. Other than those three, I think everyone else is staying put regardless of how the season plays out.

Dave

7. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

8. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

1) Tubberville - He has built some nice teams but none that have been great and I really believe that is a shame because AU has the talent to win the SEC almost yearly. If he doesnt win the West next year (outright for goodness sakes) then I believe AU will fire him.

2) Holtz - His record recently speaks for itself. His cooling off period is done and another CU blowout will cost him his job.

3) Shula - Sadly, he will struggle next year and be put on the hot seat in his 3rd year.

9. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I would agree with you but think of it like this.....Tenn won 10 games last year yet many UT fans are saying if he doesnt win next year he could be in shambles soon.....UF's Zook has people claiming his job already on their boards.....not sure UGA should be put behind Bama with both of these things going on.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Zook isnt on the hot seat as much as ppl believe due to Jeremy Foley, the UF AD who hired Zookers to that 4 yr contract. He'd have to collapse since Zook was such a hard sell he would never eat crow unless he had a .500 season. At least not til his 4th yr is done, then he would be forced to.

Cutcliffe on the hot seat? no freaking way. they feel like the NC's there, he's the Bear Bryant of Oxford. Hell, they are CO-SEC WEST CHAMPS by god.