Who is Running back u?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I'll just be concerned about what's happening presently, who gives a rats ass about what Bo did 20yrs ago. :grin:
    Presently, I would'nt trade our backs for yours or SC.
    Phugem :D

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Auburn's five greatest running backs 1) Bo Jackson - The 1985 Heisman Trophy winner was actually more dangerous in his sophomore season when he averaged 7.7 yards per carry. Injuries kept him from reaching his full potential over his final two seasons getting knocked out of two of the biggest games of the 1985 season against Tennessee and Auburn making the Heisman race closer than it should have been.
    2) Carnell Williams - The Cadillac would put up mega-numbers if he didn't have to split time with Ronnie Brown. While other great Tiger backs could lay claim to the number two spot, there will be no doubt about Williams after 2004.
    3) Joe Cribbs - After seeing a little bit of time in his freshman season, Cribbs took off rushing for 3,056 yards in his final three campaigns finishing with 34 touchdowns. He was the school's all-time leading rusher before James Brooks barely passed him in 1980.
    4) Brent Fullwood - The program's most spectacular back not named Bo, Fullwood averaged 7.2 yards per carry with a scary-good 8.3 average in his senior. An argument could be made that he was a better home-run hitter than Jackson.
    5) James Brooks - Rudi Johnson and Stephen Davis deserve this spot, but Brooks was the school's all-time leading rusher before Jackson came along. He ran for 3,523 yards and 24 touchdowns averaging 5.7 yards per carry.

I'll see your 5 with Charles Alexander, Dalton Hilliard, Kevin Faulk, Terry Robiskie, and Harvey Williams...and I'll raise you Garry James, Justin Vincent,
    LaBrandon Toefield and Dominick Davis. All within the last 30 years.

4. Proud Tiger

If you READ my post you will see that it is College Football New's opinion.....,
    not mine. I just posted the article as an item of interest and even said you wouldn't like it :grin: :grin: You proved my point.....damn I'm getting good :grin:

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'll bet you a draft beer of your choice that LSU will outrush Auburn in 2004. :grin:

But as far as the list, I'd put Bo and company over OJ and company any time. :eek:

Where is our statman? LSU's top five rushers have got to place better than teams like Wisconsin. Charles Alexander, Dalton Hilliard, and Kevin Faulk are all 4,000-yard rushers. Terry Robiskie and Harvey Williams are over 2,500 career yards. And that ain't counting our Hesiman Trophy winner.

6. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

1. At no point did I express a dislike for the article. I found it quite interesting, although given the talent I mentioned, I did find it rather odd that LSU couldn't even make this guy's top 20.

2. At no point did I ever indicate that I thought this was YOUR opinion. I was merely pointing out to you, an Auburn fan, that I would take my five + over your five...MY opinion, nothing more.

7. Proud Tiger

G_Man113....I was only going on your words......"I'll take YOUR five and....." rather than saying I'll take those five....

In any event, I'm surprised that this is getting reaction about Auburn being #2. What I thought you guys really wouldn't like is USC being #1 :)

8. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I'm not real surprised that USC is #1. Starting w/ Mike Garrett, they have a long tradition of solid tailbacks (The Ex-Wife Slasher, Anthony White, Charles White, Marcus Allen, etc.). They are Running Back U much the way Penn State is Linebacker U and Miami is Quarterback U.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'm pretty cool with the top 10. Don't know why they overruled themselves by putting OJ on the list but USC still had enough great backs to be rated number one. Auburn is a good choice for number two I think and the top 10 looks ok except for maybe Wisconson. LSU could make that top 20 list pretty easily I believe looking at the RB's we've had since 1970.

These are the backs I've looked at for LSU since 1970 that do create a lot of luster in my mind.

Alexander, Hilliard, James, Robiskie, Fuller, Faulk, Mealey, Collins, Toefield, Davis, Brad Davis, Art Cantrelle, in addition to the studs we now have. Hilliard, Alexander and Faulk have never really received the recognition and credit they deserved I think. They presently rank 2nd(Kevin), 5th(Dalton) and 6th(Charles) all time in total rushing yards in SEC history.

All 3 also rank in the top 15 in the SEC in yards per game, Faulk and Hilliard rank 2 and 3 in total rushing TD's in a career. Faulk holds many all purpose records in the SEC, including the 1st, 2nd and 4th highest season avgs. ever, the 2nd and 3rd highest total yards behind Double D, who played one more game. He is also the SEC leader in All purpose yardage with 6,833, pretty incredible numbers. He averaged 166.7 yards per game and that ranks him second in the SEC to Herschel.

10. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Are you sure that surprises you? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: