Who is the best football player ever to attend LSU?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by john randolph, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Incredible physical specimen. Thanks for reminding me.

I am talking about Andolsek not Jimmie Taylor (although he looks great for his age and medical condition).

2. smoovedog

smoovedog Founding Member

I would have to say Billy Cannon or Jim Taylor
    :tigerhead

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Jim Taylor is a good argument, but I'm too young to remember him.

I couldn't agree more with both of these selections. Michael Clayton's name and reputation speak for themselves. Character issues aside, Collins could have been something special. I'm still waiting for another one like him to come along - only I hope the next one has his head on straight.

(What is this world coming to when I actually agree with I-of-th Tygrr? :grin: )

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Great names above, obviously. I'll throw in Dalton Hilliard (OK, maybe just a sucker for watching him play when I was a kid) and Alan Faneca's name is going to work it's way up this list over time.

5. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Bert Jones
    Charles Alexander
    & tons of great linebackers

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Need to keep Cecil's name off this list, he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as these true Tiger greats. The question wasn't about potential, it was about greatness fullfilled.

7. friday

friday Founding Member

it would be tough to find a better NFL'er than Y.A. Tittle. However, I think Kevin Mawae may go down as one of the best centers to ever play in the NFL if he keeps it going for a few more years. as a resident of NYC, I can say that he gets as many accolades as you could possibly get from one of the most under appreciated, non-descript positions in football. 6 time pro bowler, iron man who's started over 170 games for 10 years counting. man, he played on some bad LSU teams, too.

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Excellent observation.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I like Clayton, too, but he only stayed 3 years and never made All-American, so I have to put him in the second tier. Collins played one year, embarrassed LSU, and deserves no consideration.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

this post spells out why it would be best not to give too much weight to ncaa awards---if clayton didnt get all american something is wrong. ok maybe not wrong, but being named aa has to do with how good your team is, what you did the year before, and who else happen to be at your position the same year.

i dont think you can argue against cannon, tittle, clayton, or spears. i give a lot of weight to championships and mvp

faneca will have a better career than mawae (but mawae is probably my favorite tiger)