Who is the best football player ever to attend LSU?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by john randolph, Jan 11, 2005.

1. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

Best players I've seen are Josh Reed, Charles Alexander, Bert Jones. Chad Lavalais was awesome. Booger Macfarland. Harvey Williams. Rohan Davey. Tommy Hodson.

The best has got to Reed's final season. Best single game performance was the Bama game that year.

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

293 yards receiving. I think he is still open. Dont forget, Calyton had 126 in that game, too...as a true freshman. Counting the 239 yard performance he put on in the Sugar Bowl against Illinois, Reed finished that year with 1979 yards. Unbelievable.

3. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

When Kevin is back in town (BR), he attends the same church as I do. Our pastor has given several pre-game messages to the Jets over the years. Hope Kevin keeps doing well. Very good person too.

4. conradj

conradj Founding Member

To me, there's no doubt its Dr. Tommy Casanova:

Tommy Casanova, Defensive Back/Running Back, LSU, 1969-1971
    If you were to create the perfect college football player, one who was everything you could ever hope for on and off the field, few players can match the career of LSU's Tommy Casanova.

What more could you possibly want? On the field, he was an all-everything defensive back, a tremendous kick returner and solid running back. He was so good that he went on to a very nice NFL career. He then did LSU proud off the field by going to medical school to become an ophthalmologist, then going on to become a member of the Louisiana state senate.

The do-it-all player: Casanova was a quarterback in the secondary with almost peerless cover skills as a safety making seven career interceptions. He could've been just as good at running back carrying the ball 72 times for 302 yards and five touchdowns in his career. Where he really lit it up was as a kick returner returning 44 punts for 517 yards and 17 kickoffs for 334 yards. Against Mississippi, he returned two punts (61 & 73 yards) for touchdowns. Casanova is widely considered the first player to be able to play in all three phases with equal ability since college football teams started platooning. In his career, LSU was 27-7 winning two bowls and the SEC Championship in 1970.

An SEC original: When you consider all the great players who've gone through the SEC, Casanova was an original becoming the first three-time All-SEC selection.

The NFL career: Casanova was taken in the 2nd round of the 1972 NFL Draft, 29th overall, playing until 1977.

Beyond the field: While with the Bengals, Casanova still went after his medical degree at Cincinnati College of Medicine becoming an ophthalmologist. While he's still a medical consultant, he also became a Louisiana state senator. In 1996, he was given the NCAA's Silver Anniversary Award for accomplishments off the field.

Honors:

College Football Hall of Fame - 1995
    All-American - 1969 - 1971
    Named to Walter Camp All-Century Team
    1st Team All-SEC - 1969 -1971
    LSU Hall of Fame - 1976
    NCAA Silver Anniversary Award - 1996

5. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I say Tommy Cassanova as well.

He is my all time favorite LSU player.

He may have been before some of the current fans time but man what a player.

I can remember as a kid acting like i was Tommy Cassanova and listening to the games on the radio and hearing his name.

I know this may sound crazy but I Love LSU Football. Over my life it has given me alot of Joy and Pride.

Thanks to all the players who have given all Tiger Fans something to really be proud of.

Geaux Tigers

6. conradj

conradj Founding Member

7. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Does anybody know what Jim Taylor is up to these days? Where is he?

8. TN Tiger

TN Tiger Founding Member

It is Casanova for me too. He is the first Tiger that I ever remember hearing about on the radio as a kid. Kind of an all around, throw-back type of player. I also thought Bert Jones was up there too.:helmet:

9. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Billy Cannon, Tommy Casanova, Jerry Stovall.

Cannon won Heisman, Stoval finished 2nd for Heisman.

I heard Cannon won the 100 yd. dash in state in high school, great runner, and linebacker for LSU also. Led AFL in rushing his first two seasons, won first two titles with Houston Oilers. Went on to play tight end with the Oakland Raiders after a back injury limited his running back status.

Stovall 2nd for Heisman, great running back, played defensive back for St. Louis Cardinals for years, perennial all pro.

Casanova's accomplishments are admirably spelled out above. SAAAALUUUTE!!!

10. ran227

ran227 Freshman

Best Player tie

Dan Alexander or Y A Title. Alexander was one of the best lineman ever, and most people won't remember him. He played for the Jets for years. Best blocker ever on the line.