Who is the better quarterback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mrx, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

But I did leave in the part where you said 'begun to,' and that's what I disagree with. I didn't see him make much real progress at all this year in that category.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My vote is for JR--and let me add one element there that hasn't been hashed out much, yet.

Leak HATES to take a hit. He almost hunkers down anytime an opposing player gets near him. JR seems tougher to me, and one cannot discount the fact that he's a winner. Few LSU QB's have better winning percentages than him.

3. Contained Chaos

Matt Flynn's is better.:hihi:

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

http://southernpigskin.com/page.cfm?story=11141

Ranking the quarterbacks of the ACC, SEC and Southern Conference.

ACC/SEC
    1. Chris Leak, Florida – His productivity slipped some in his first season in the read-option offense, but moments that were tentative in 2005 will be definitive in 2006. Leak remains one of the most polished quarterbacks in the nation and enters this season as perhaps the most experienced, savvy signal caller in the college game. Barring injury, Leak should finish his career with the Gators with 10,000 career passing yards and 75 career touchdowns, making him one of the most productive quarterbacks in the SEC history. If Leak continues to progress in the offensive system of head coach Urban Meyer, his could have his team in the SEC Championship game and himself at the Heisman trophy presentation this Fall.

2. Kyle Wright, Miami – Wright led the ACC with an 18-to-10 touchdown-to-interception ratio in 2005 but many believe this will be the season he puts it all together. Few quarterbacks nationally are more talented than the California-product. A former prep All-American, Wright has shown flashes of brilliance during his brief career with the Hurricanes. New offensive coordinator Rich Olsen, who replaced Dan Werner, has added some new ripples to the ‘Canes offensive scheme. The changes might help Wright take a major step forward.

3. JaMarcus Russell, LSU – Russell really came into his own last season as he developed into an on-the-field leader that carried the Tigers through tough times. In games against Arizona State, Auburn and Alabama, Russell played clutch, mistake-free football that helped LSU prevail in close, crucial games. At 6’6’’, 250-pounds, he has developed into more than just an athletic marvel; Russell is now one of the premier quarterbacks in the SEC and could parlay a big junior season into a final year that has the attention of NFL scouts and executives. Russell has experienced a climb in his passing yards, touchdowns, completion percentage and efficiency rating each year he has been on campus. Expect that trend to continue if he fully recovers from a shoulder injury suffered late last season.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

And look at how clutch he is when thrown into tough situations! Like the Capital One Bowl when he impressed us all with his game-on-the-line heroics. Or how great he performed in the SEC Championship game - a touchdown on the first play! What a true leader we have, the team just plays better for him and he knows how to win in difficult situations.

:hihi:

6. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I don't know how Leak can continue to play in the Urban Meyer system. They had to retool the offense for him in the latter part of the season (I've read numerous articles stating that the new offense containing 2 tights and a back in the backfield was put in over a bye week) with questionable results and some i guess...success. That just isn't his game though. He is a spread option dude and his quarterbacks must be spread option dudes. With all the attrition, look for UF to continue to bumble around in their half ass I form system until Tebow gets his chance.

Remember, they only have 2 QB's at this point. Dickey left the team to play baseball and Portis transferred.

Ranking Kyle Wright above JR is ludicrous by any stretch of the imagination.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Flympressed? :D :D :D :D :D

8. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

I think it's about a push... had leak not been learning a new system last year, who's to say he wouldnt have had an amazing year? If saban were around again last year who's to say he doesnt light up the world...? I think it's about equal, neither really impress the hell outta me, but both are good.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Their offense definitely seemed to have more success after they made the changes. Their system was bound to run into problems not only with Leak as a QB but adjusting to the SEC as well. Even with Tebow, the system will never be what it was originally intended to be because it won't work in the SEC - it will have to be adapted.

I wonder what that says about Meyer/the program? Orgeron had a lot of attrition as well, while Miles only lost one player, Amp Hill.

Yes. I think the Leak/JR QB comparison is arguable either way, but having Wright second is ridiculous.

10. Contained Chaos

Don't tell that to UGA. WVU pretty much runs the same offense that Meyer does. Rich Rodriguez is the supposed architect of the spread option. And they absolutely ate poor UGA's lunch with it in the Sugar Bowl. Pat White is a perfect fit for it, as Tebow supposedly is. Perilloux would be as well. Don't live in denial about the spread option, it's going to give the conference fits once it starts working.