Who is the better quarterback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mrx, Apr 14, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

We'll see. I think it will give us some fits, but the conference will adjust soon after they get it down. I don't think it will be able to consistently beat SEC defenses and we may never even see Florida have it completely in place because I think Meyer will go with whatever works, even if it isn't exactly his system.

I don't give WVU much credit. It will give teams fits, but it isn't a great system.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I agree the SEC is too fast for Urban's offense. That offense could work in the Big East which is...well... not the SEC.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Why not? Did you watch the Sugar Bowl? Although the final score was close, they ran all over a team that ran all over is. They will probably go undefeated this year.
    What do you percieve as 'not great' about it?

4. Contained Chaos

It will never work with Leak simply because he's too slow.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Completely different teams, the UGA team that stomped us & the team that got trampled in the beginning of the Sugar Bowl. UGA wasn't in that game until the end and then they almost won it.

We'll see. Even with their pathetic schedule, I really doubt it.

What about it is great? It creams defenses that lack speed & depth. It has the potential to fool speedy defenses but it can't consistently beat them.

6. Contained Chaos

You only say that because of the difference in outcomes of the games, though. UGA didn't lose any key players or go through anything bad between the SECCG and the Sugar Bowl. UGA is still a respectable SEC defense and got smoked with regularity in the game.
    Right, because WVU doesn't play very good defense. But UGA never found an answer for the spread option.
    If executed properly, it can use a defenses speed against them. Teams that are faster getting to the ball would end up just getting that much more burned if the plays are run right. It could effectively take fast defenses out of their game and cause them to play much less aggressively.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

No, the outcomes were due to the differences in the play of the team. UGA just wasn't into the game, where as they had all the momentum against us.

Didn't UGA's defense limit WVU for the later part of the game?

Theoretically, maybe. But there's a reason this system is used by small time schools in small time conferences. I don't expect it to ever be more than something that gives people problems - it won't ever be a dominating offense.

8. Contained Chaos

I can't help but think that perception stems from them getting run the hell over early and often.
    I don't remember exactly. I think they slowed them down for a while, but then fell back apart at the end.
    That's not a good qualifier. It's a young system and the only coaches who have run it (only two that I know of) just happened to do so at those schools. It hasn't been tried consistently against stronger teams, so you can't make that statement as if it origninates from continued failure, like the standard option.

9. MEW4thTiger

MEW4thTiger Founding Member

The year we won the NC our only loss was to Florida, and I was real impressed with the way Leak handled our defensive blitz's and pressures. In that game, it seemed he always dumped the ball off in perfect fashion to the open guy either out of the back field or hot route just before we got to him for a sack. I thought he made a lot of good decisions that game.....and if i remember correctly I wasn't impressed w/ Mauck that game. And to be quite honest, I thought he would be another Florida QB machine to fear year in/year out. But that hasn't happened, and ever since then I haven't seen that type of moxy out of him. In fact I very much enjoyed the Florida game this past season-in which he looked like a deer in headlights.......yeah that was good times.

So, I believe JR is the better QB, WHY? BECAUSE: 1. he just knows how to win. 2. I think he has developed more as a QB than Leak 3. F**K Florida

Also, MY only concern is that our receivers can't seem to catch most of JR passes in stride or while just basically standing up. I was very discouraged to see so many of our passes from JR were thrown w/ such a trajectory that the receivers were trying to scoop it off the ground or trapping it or falling to the ground as they were catching it. I don't know if you guys noticed it, but it seemed every time Craig Buster Davis was thrown to, it seemed like it was a re-viewable play. SSSSSSSSSOOOOOO if JR can improve this deficiency (and I really think it's the only one he has) our boys should go off this season while Leak watches sportscenter to see how its done.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

this paragraph is why i don't want jr to start another game. combined with his tendency to hold the ball about 3 times longer than he needs to, inconsistent performances, and known attitude and work ethic issues as addressed by jimbo and saban. i haven't seen a performance like the peach bowl out of an lsu quarterback since 2003. and that was probably against louisiana tech since mauck had horrible games against uga, ole miss, florida, and oklahoma.