Who is the Linebackers coach at LSU? (2020 season)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerTap, Nov 2, 2020.

1. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

When Aranda was here, he coached the LBers & was DC, but that's Dave Aranda. Bo Pelini is a different type DC. Last time around, Pelini had Bradley Dale Peveto at LBers coach. (Now at A&M as LBer coach) We went 34-5 during Pelini's time here. #3 ranked Defense for 3 consecutive years.

Pelini was hired to fundamentally change LSU from a 3-4 LBer centric Defense into a 4-3, more DL centric Defense. Meaning he's working more with finding the right combination of DL to fit the scheme.

How many Defensive coaching changes was Pelini allowed to make for his new Defense? Looks like he hasn't been allowed to make any changes.

LSU Defensive Staff:
    DC: Bo Pelini
    DL: Bill Johnson, 65 year old coach fired from the Saints, been here 2 years
    CB: Corey Raymond, been here since 2012
    S: Bill Busch, 2 years ago 'stolen' from Rutgers

Plus a ton of analysts..

It's not Bo Pelini that's making all these QBs look like Heisman candates. That would be the responsibility of the 2 DB coaches that were already here. Never liked splitting DBs up. Did we really need Billy Busch to coach Safeties? Was Corey Raymond doing a bad job? It's always worked better when there was 1 DB coach at LSU. All DBs on the same page.

LSU can afford to hire a Linebackers coach, who's sole responsibilty is Linebackers. Sal Sunseri is Bama's LBer coach, who's ours?

Nobody really looks below the surface though & just starts yelling to Fire the newest guy hired. I expect Pelini wiil be fired very soon. Orgeron trying to save his own skin. It's a shame Pelini hasn't been allowed to assemble his own Defensive staff.

LSU DC position is a great job for someone willing to coach with his arms tied behind his back.

unclenick, Perple, LSUTiga and 2 others like this.
  2. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I agree. Considering how badly the LB ranks were thinned by those opting to turn pro, this position group needed even more coaching. Placing both the cornerbacks & safeties under one assistant might help to make them work better together.

The other thing that I have wondered about is the timing of the switch from the 3-4 to the 4-3. I know that both Oeaux and Bo much prefer the 4-3, but Oeaux had recruited 3-4 players successfully for the last several years. The most important guy in a 3-4 scheme is the nose tackle and we had 2 very good ones (Shevin & Ika). Given the players that we had on hand, might it have been better to make the switch next year? The loss of spring training made issues worse as it reduced the time to teach the new scheme.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    lsu-i-like and TigerTap like this.
  3. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I think the D played well until the last drive of the first half. I’m still not convinced Bo isn’t good for the long term yet. After we went down 28-3, the D gave up on this game. Don’t see that as a defensive coordinator issue.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

First paragraph: agree with you totally; not only did we lose 3 LB's to the draft, we had 2 of their 3 most likely replacements transfer. Very thin. I see some people suggesting Bush needs to be let go or at least reassigned and put Raymond in complete charge of the secondary, and I agree. I also agree with you and @TigerTap that there needs to be an LB coach (how does an SEC power, the defending NC's, not have dedicated LB coach?) Kelvin Sheppard is on staff as an "analyst"; maybe he needs a promotion.

Second paragraph: I really don't think that's how it works. Up until this season, we've recruited to the scheme we've played. If you're replacing a coordinator and want to keep your scheme, you either go get a guy who fits your personnel or promote from within. You don't hire a 4-3 guy and then tell him,"you need to be a 3-4 guy until we get the right guys to play the 4-3." And please, let's not hear any more references to the lack of a spring. No one had a spring. And even if you're still going to argue that spring took away adjustment time to a new scheme, that still doesn't excuse the inability to tackle. I'm hearing J.Stevens graded as having missed 7 tackles Saturday. Lack of spring practice is no excuse for being unable to tackle 5 weeks into the season.

lsu-i-like and tzanghi like this.
  5. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

I don't know why we have no dedicated LBer coach. Seems that is a pretty damn importantant coach, as @Hou-duco said, especially while transitioning from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

As far as I know, we are the only SEC team with No LBer coach. I really don't understand this.

unclenick, Perple and lsu-i-like like this.
  6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Or view 2020 as a rebuild anyway and go ahead and flush it for the future. Can’t say Aranda’s D was an iron curtain.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I honestly was disappointed in the Aranda D most of his time here. He came in with a rep for being able to design these incredibly creative pass rush schemes and I just didn't see it. Defense was OK by our standards while he was here but not great.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

It’s because Aranda coached them when he was here, so there was no second, dedicated LB coach. Instead we had two secondary coaches under him. You can only have a limited number of on-field coaches. All the other guys we had were on contract from last year, so O was prohibited from hiring another on-field coach by the NCAA unless he got rid of one from the staff.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Yes I know about Aranda, it's in my first sentence in this thread. Also mentioned the 2 DB coaches.

So here is the question, why is LSU the only SEC team who has No linebacker coach? Why aren't the others not being prohibited by the NCAA, with those
    onfield coaching restrictions? Who is the "Extra" coach keeping LSU from having a LBer coach? Orgeron has had almost a year to figure out he had nobody coaching them.

The whole Defensive coaching situation points directly at total mismanagement by Orgeron.

unclenick, Perple and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Tap, I literally answered all of these questions in the post you quoted. If you’re just complaining, carry on. But if you’re serious, all this info is in my post. O can’t get a LB coach without firing another coach.