Who takes the reigns?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by shane0911, Sep 17, 2021.

1. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

While we continue to talk about Eaux's replacement, I'd just like to point something out. Remember how terrible our defense was last year?

First 3 games of 2020
    Total Defense: 494.66 ypg, 7 yards per play, 32 points per game

First 3 games of 2021
    Total Defense: 298.7 ypg, 4.59 yards per play, 22 points per game

Now before anyone says "cupcake games", our first three opponents last year were Miss St, Vandy, and Mizzou - the normal bottom feeders of the SEC.

Is this enough to save Eaux's job? No, but it is a substantial improvement.

Chipeace, Brian, StaceyO and 3 others like this.
  2. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Im ok with 4-1. I wouldn’t be shocked if we went 5-0 and I wouldn’t be shocked if we went 1-4. I think that after next week we will have a better (more honest) idea of how much our defense has improved. The Pirate will challenge the hell out of us. Getting Ward & Gaye back are going to be huge. Also the offense playing like they did last night and scoring will help the defense (it definitely hurt the defense week 1).

Looking at the SEC, we will only play at most 3 undefeated teams, and that’s assuming Kentucky beats Florida. Ole Miss and Bama will play each other before us as will A&M and Arkansas.

TBTrumpet, Hou-duco and lsu-i-like like this.
  3. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Yes, the Pirate will challenge us. He was the coach who exposed our defense last year. We are going to find out if we really corrected the defensive communication issues and if we have learned out to defend crossing routes.

shane0911, LSU_4_LIFE and TBTrumpet like this.
  4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

dl getting thin could be a big issue…. pressure with the front is the key to the game I think

5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

How you figure? We look deeper than ever right now. Don't know the status of Anthony but looks to me like Little and Cherry are very capable. At DT we are 2 and 3 deep.

6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

losing bodies before facing the pirate isn’t a good scenario. if lsu can pressure with 4 that helps the back end…. gotta keep em fresh

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I just don't agree with your view. How can you say he didn't bring in Burrow and Brady? Buck stops at the head coach. He either was totally involved or at the very least had to approve it. How could he retain Aranda? Aranda wanted to be a HC for money and his long term career. I have heard what he really wants is an NFL job. Hired rookie coordinators? Brady was a rookie coordinator and everyone fell in love with him. Ensminger was a veteran coordinator but everyone here hated him. Long way to go? Well so does Alabama, Georgia and everyone else. Yes I don't know how we will wind up but neither do you or anyone else.

Well so far I was right about last night I called it the day before the game. Everything I said came true from the opening of the playbook to the smothering defense.

I hope you can find a way to back O till later in the year.

TCUTiger likes this.
  8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I agree but we are not thin on the front 4. Memphis put 31 on the Pirate. No way the Memphis defense is in the same zip code of ours. Our defense us for real. We will beat the cows.

TBTrumpet likes this.
  9. LSU_4_LIFE

Central Michigan.

Like I said, long way to go. We will see who this team really is over the next 5 games.

Winston1, GeauxTigers2021 and Perple like this.
  10. LSU_4_LIFE

Alleva had O on a tight leash. Remember Matt Canada? Ed O didn’t even know who Burrow or Brady were.

Off the field, Busch used his recruiting prowess to help LSU land graduate transfer quarterback Joe Burrow, who led LSU to a 15-0 mark and the national championship in 2019

https://lsusports.net/sports/fb/roster/coach/bill-busch/

"This award should say Joe Brady/Steve Ensminger,” Brady said after winning the Broyles Award, grasping the incorrect public perceptions as to who ran the 2019 offense. “I’m only at LSU because of Steve Ensminger. I’ll never forget that.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ls...ape-the-real-story-behind-the-2019-offense-ii

"I'm very happy to report Dave Aranda has agreed to be with our program for years to come," Orgeron tweeted Wednesday night and thanked Alleva for "making this happen."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theadvertiser.com/amp/1001622001

No real clarity as to whether it was O or Alleva or both. But 2 things, Coach O didn’t have a lot of nice comments when Aranda left and If he took that A&M job, 2019 never happens

Lastly,
    I’ll always support LSU.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Perple likes this.