Who will be the steals of the NFL draft and bust?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigger1, Mar 25, 2004.

1. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

Steals:
    Chad Lavalais in the second round
    Keiwan Ratliff in the third round

bust:
    Tommy Harris
    and
    Will Poole

what are your picks for steals and bust?

also
    Ben Watson is the best overall TE he will be a lesser steal.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I don't think T. Harris will be a bust but he is greatly overrated. Devery Henderson could be a pleasant suprise for some team if he doesn't move up too much before draft day. He hasn't been a reciever long and still has potential to improve. One bust I think will be Kellen Winslow, not because he lacks talent but because of his me attitude and because he is a spoiled little child and not a team player. NFL veterans aren't going to put up with his attitude for long IMO. Maurice Clarett is another overrated player IMO and will never regain his past glory. Ahmad Carroll is another player that showed me nothing in college yet the scouts seem to drool over him like he the second coming of the neon peon Dion Sanders.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Devery Henderson and Chad Lavalais will be steals. Possible bust: Derek Straight. Devery OWNED him in the Senior Bowl. Of course, Straight claims that he was injured and wasn't playing 100%. That sounds eerily familiar...

I've been pretty good in predicting the busts before. I felt David LaFleur was being overhyped in '97, and I predicted Ryan Leaf wouldn't have a fraction of the pro success that Peyton Manning would have (my husband is still eating crow about that one.)

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Stacey I'm with ya on LaFleur, I thought was way overrated in college as he didn't impress me too much in college either. He was strictly a serviceable tight end in the NFL. Strait has too much heart to not make it, they could always move him to safety if he gets beat as a corner. Poole will be a bust if he gets drafted high, as will Clarett but I don't think either one will be drafted too high myself. Tommie Harris will be considered somewhat of a bust if he goes early in the first round I think. I agree with Chad being a steal but I think he may go in the third or fourth rounds due to his size and his poor workout as far as the strength tests. He will surprise folks when he plays. Ben Watson maight not be a steal as he just may go pretty early and I think he will be a good one. Winslow won't be a bust either, he's got way too much talent and he can't make anymore noise than Schockley did.

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Yesterday, on Buddy D's show, he had a draft analyst project that the Saints
    would take Poole w/ the 18th overall pick, which would almost guarantee that he'll be a bust. This guy had D'Angelo Hall (Va. Tech) and another corner (can't remember who...not Strait) going ahead of Poole. He also
    liked a corner from Ohio State.

6. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

that would be Chris Gamble (DB/WR/PR/KR)

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

That's him...thanks.

BTW, the other CB this guy had ahead of Poole and Gamble was Dunta
    Robinson of South Carolina.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Will Poole was the bright spot of that defense. I have watched him a lot thinking he was too small and overhyped but that guy is a playmaker. He makes tackles against the run and is a blanket on coverage. I think he he great potential.... Same with Derrek Strait. Both guys are playmakers and can cover. The Sr Bowl does not lessen what I have seen of him.

Predicting Lafleur being a bust wasnt a revelation to anyone. We saw him do practically nothing here at LSU then the media in its infinite wisdom and the NFL scouts kept talking about how great his was but they just saw his size the killer 'potential' word. The fact he even started at all in the pros shocked me.

Tommy Harris will be just fine even though he is overhyped. you just get sick of hearing his name when you saw how well LSU's defense was compared to theirs.

Devery will be the steal of the draft no matter where he gets picked.. i think a great career is in store for him.

Roy Williams will be an absolute bust imo reminds me of Joey Galloway..just doesnt have that desire that makes a player great.

9. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

how bout a kid named rivers from nc state? best qb out there.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

This workout took place indoors in N.C. State's new practice facility. Head coaches in attendance were Marty Schottenheimer, Mike Sherman and Bill Cowher. In total, about 70 NFL personnel were there.
    Player Position Gil's comments

Philip Rivers QB Rivers measured 6-5 at the combine but measured 6-4¾ here. He weighed 224 pounds. He ran his 40s in 4.99, 4.97 and 4.95, and also ran the 10-yard dash in 1.71. There were times that were not as fast as the ones we put up there, including one at 5.10 for the 40, but it's our policy to use the best times. He added a 32½-inch vertical, a 9-0 long jump, a 4.34 short shuttle and a 7.34 three-cone drill. He also threw to three receivers, including Jerricho Cotchery, and two running backs. Our sources informed us that he was very accurate.

Philip Rivers 6-5 230 North Carolina State
    Arguably the most effective quarterback in college football and is only a step or two below Eli Manning in terms of being a prospect. He's got great size and a very good arm. Rivers is a deadly accurate passer who sees the field well, makes quick decisions, and gets rid of the ball quickly. He's probably the best 2 minute drill quarterback in the draft. The only thing keeping him from being a top 5 pick is his throwing motion. He reminds me of a stronger armed Bernie Kosar.

link