Who will Emerge Spring Practice as #1 QB?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by conradj, Mar 17, 2004.

?

Who will be #1 at the end of Spring (QB)?

1. Marcus Randall

34 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. Matt Flynn

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Jamarcus Russell

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm not sure if there are enough practices in the spring for the QB's to separate themselves. This business may go on into fall practice or even into the season before a starter emerges.

Jimbo could have worse problems than having 3 talented quarterbacks..

2. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

In my opinion, Randall has trouble with pressure. I believe this is where Mauck was better. I don't know if the freshman QB's can handle pressure any better. I just hope the offensive line can jell. Yeah, I know we have good ones coming back, but there are holes to fill & teamwork is a must.
    I do not think anyone will block like Clayton. I see more 2 TE sets this year than last. I believe the QB that handles the pressure the best will start, not necessarily the one with the best arm or the one that runs the fastest.

3. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

my money is on Russell. I just have a feeling about him that he is something special.

i get a doom and gloom feeling everytime MR got into a game last year, and that was in mop up duty. What am I going to feel like if he starts every game? I might need to buy stock in Pepto.

Honestly, I want what is best for LSU, and Saban and Jimbo are more then qualified to make this decision on behalf of us fans.

Just get me a SEC West title and a SECGC title, a BCS bowl, and I am more then thrilled.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

All 3 have strengths that Jimbo can work with. I honestly feel very confident about the position. I think Randall can become a quality SEC QB but expect Russell to pass him either in the spring or the early fall. It just sounds like Russell is too good to keep off the field.

Question for the gallery. It's obviously a lot different not opening against a cupcake. Do you think Jimbo/Nick would even consider a 2 QB rotation for Oregon St (going into the game)? Without an established QB, I could see them having a quicker trigger for the backup but couldn't really see them having a plan to play 2 QBs.

5. crm160

crm160 Founding Member

I think Randall will start the first game, but by Auburn it's gonna be showtime for Flynn or Russell! I can't wait to see their talent. :lsug:

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Saban said he wants to go with one and that would be whoever separates himself, which would probably happen in the fall as others have posted. So I really don't see him using a 2 QB system as he never has before but he may if no one does separate himself.

7. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

My guess is that MR is the starter going into the Fall and Flynn beats him out early in the Fall. Combine our thin WR corp with an inexperienced QB, throw in a strong O-line with awesome RBs and we will see a lot of 2 tight end sets and more sets with a fullback. Provide more protection for the young QB (whoever it is) and put in the best QB at controlling a solid running game. In a pass play, give him one read and let him get out of the pocket and run. That is why I think it will be Flynn (he was a running QB in HS). Then as the season goes on, give him two reads and slowly open up the Offense. I expect run/pass at 60/40 early on with a lot of runs that started out as pass plays (make your read and then run or throw it away).

But to tell you the truth, I am hoping that one of them step up big time this summer and it is obvious about midway through Fall practice. I hope that it is MR and he makes us say "Mauck who". That would be the best scenario (not the most likely, but the best :) ). He is a tough guy and has shown a lot of heart to stick around. If he steps it up and becomes the leader of the offense, we are looking at a repeat MNC. Right now the team may not trust him and may not follow him. But by the Fall...