Who will guard JJ?? Better yet...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by RedElephants, Mar 18, 2006.

1. BballIsLife

BballIsLife Freshman

You are right on here Tigerbait. A 2-3 zone will be run sometimes when LSU takes the ball out under their own basket. Even when this happens, we usually switch to man once inbounded.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

If we let JJ get 30, you have to keep people like Melchionni and Nelson to their averages. That is the problem when it comes to guarding duke. They have so many players that could explode. - McBob and Paulus as well.

Though, LSU is the same way.

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

From SI.com

Watched a good bit of Duke-GW, and Josh McRoberts is as soft as butter. The Shelden Williams-Big Baby match will be epic. I have much respect for "the Landlord", and it should be a great battle down under.

4. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

yes, the key to the game is going to be sheldon williams vs big baby. Im not sure davis can handle him, thomas would get in foul trouble vs him.

The best scheme would be to double him, let malchioni(spelling?) fly open and hope he misses shots. Attack williams on the offensive end and hope he gets in foul trouble early.

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I'd put Tasmin on JJ, have Tyrus and Baby double down on Shelden Williams and make Duke's other 3 starters beat us. My guess is, they can't.

6. train

train Founding Member

Out of our starting 5 why would you put our worse perimeter defender on the nations best 3 point shooter. As good a player Tasmin is he doesn't defend well. Thats not a smart decision. Temple is going to guard Redick, and Thomas and Glen are going to have to guard Williams. As long as Brady keeps Voogds ass on the bench we will be fine. I dont care what nobody says are thinks Temple has been handling the point more and more and the team is really playing well. He looks comfortable and he doesnt panic. Hes doing exactly what the coaches want him to do and hes playing the point better than Tack did, and nobody should ever compare Temples game to Voogds game. Temple has stepped his level of play way up. plus he gives us a lot on the defensive end. I got wind of some NBA scouts and they were really impressed with how Temple kept his composure, and they said in three years if he keeps on improving he would be one tough SOB.
    I just got back from Jacksonville, and LSU still didn't have hardly any people in the stands and on top of that all of the Gator fans started cheering for the Aggies. It was like we were at an away game are sumthin. Our fans there were old people and they didnt hardly cheer. LSU mens basketball is pretty hot right now, so will yall PLEASE pack your bags, pile in your vehicles and make your way to Atlanta. I know the students at LSU can get loud.
    Sweet Sixteen here we come :geauxtige

7. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

Yes the students are loud, however when LSU ticket office doesn't offer students any tickets it poses a problem.

8. lsubasketball

lsubasketball Founding Member

Definitely agree with puttin Tasmin on JJ. yes garrett is a good defender but use the Iona game as an example. In the first half Garrett was guarding the lefty guard that put up over 20 points in the first half. In the second half we put Tasmin on him and Tasmin was like white on rice on him. I say Tasmin is the man for the job. Definitely not Tyrus. Tyrus needs to stay down low and help out Glenn and continue to block shots and grab defensive rebounds. Why in the heck would we put him to guard someone on the wing and take away from his rebounding and shot blocking????

Also, I pray that Darrell Mitchell and Garrett Temple does not get into foul trouble. Ben V. has scared the hell out of me the last few games. He hasn't defended at all and he has had way to many turnovers and looks scared.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I like your post, but I couldn't resist giving you a hard time for this statement. On the contrary, Tas' is a very good defender. In fact, that's a real underrated part of his game. At 6'7" and thicker than Temple, but nearly as quick, he can help guard perimeter players and forwards. Remember, he did shut down Soliver of Iona in the second half and has also done duty on the SEC's best scorers (e.g., the Brewers on FLA and Ark).

So, I'd say what's going to happen is Temple will start off on Reddick. D.Mitch will take Paulus. If Duke starts to press Temple and D.Mitch and tire these guys, I think Brady will (and most likely he'll do this anyway) switch looks and put Tas' on Reddick too. Remember, Reddick's not goin' to burn anyone off the dribble, the key is getting someone who can elevate or is tall enough to get in Reddick's face, to fight through the multiple screens Duke is going to set. Tas' is a great athlete and he's going to see some Reddick time...

As for your statement on G.Temple, I want to give a shout out to Temple too. The man had the quietest 8 points, but they were very key... a 3 pointer, a few fast breaks. AND, the boy got like 3 very nice blocks, pursuing breaking A&M guards down the court. Temple even got some nice comments from the commentators on how athletic he is. His game has elevated, and he's showing some real nice potential. At this point, there's a little more athletic potential there than with the last Temple to play at LSU... if the kid can get his 3 point % up to the mid 40s, and tighten up his passing game, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with and all-SEC by his junior/senior years.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BEAT DUKE!!!

10. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

I'll bet they pound it inside against Davis to try to wear him out or get him in foul trouble or both.