Who will have a breakout year in 2006?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Jul 10, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It looks like Landry and Arnold are a cinch for All-SEC with Bowe, Davis, Russell, and Daniels recognized as all-conference caliber who only need a good year.

So who will have a breakout season and unexpectedly make himself into an All-SEC candidate? I'm thinking Dorsey and Highsmith. Possibly Jackson, Miller, or Chase Pittman.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Russell. For all the flack he gets around here despite the success he's had, he's going to have a huge Jr year.

Also, the WRs in general, despite being highly regarded, have never come close to matching their potential - so I expect "break out" years for Bowe, Early & LaFell.

Keiland Williams, I think, will be the young RB to step up & have a great year.

Along the lines, Dorsey is the obvious choice here. If Miller gets healthy & moves to being the starter, I think he could have a great year. I'm unsure about Chase Pittman, he's got the anger, but sometimes seemed like he wasn't giving it his all.

3. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

If the receivers all the sudden learn how to catch, and our line actually learns how to pass block..........

JR throws for 2500, Bowe, Davis, Doucet, and Lafell all have big yardage years, and the Oline looks like heros.

All of the above considered break outs.

Amazing how this stuff works.

4. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I agree. If a few recievers learn how to catch consistantly breakout year will be for everybody. JR will put up unreal numbers.

It's almost hard to call it break out, when we had flashes all year just nothing you could count on.

5. Laminator

Laminator Founding Member

From a strict "under-the-radar" point of view, I wouldn't consider it totally unexpected if any of the players mentioned ended up All-SEC aside from Miller or Pittman. But I don't really think either of those players will end up there.

My guy for this year is Beckwith. I saw glimpses of greatness last year from him and think he's going to be a monster by mid-season. Maybe it's wishful thinking.. I long for the day when LSU linebackers are feared by all again.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'd love for our LB's to be among the best in the country as well, I just don't want to see one guy who makes 125 tackles a year, especially with most of them being after 5, 6 and 7 yard gains like we saw in Faulk's and James' most years. I'd much prefer to see all 3 LB's with a similar amount of tackles and the dlinemen in the 50 range, thereby limiting the amount of tackles the LB's can make. I think Beckwith and Highsmith are certain All SEC caliber ballplayers either this or next season with Highsmith having a heck of chance to get there this season.

7. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

I am going to be completely honest and say that the "forgotten man" will have a huge year. Justin Vincent will come out this year with a lot to prove to the team and to the fans. I was the biggest basher of this guy the last two years, but I really think this will be his comeback year. IMO his problem was that he put on too much muscle and weight after the 03' season and that took away his quickness. I have heard that he has dropped a good amount of weight since last season and has totally recovered from his injury. JV really had a pretty good game last season vs Bama. He has dropped weight, 100% from his injury, and players are saying that he is a man on a mission. People are saying that AB and KW will have huge years this year. AB might but he is a good 10 to 15 pounds overweight right now. KW has never played so nobody knows. Dont count out JV, hes been there, he has shined under pressure, and he will be great this year just wait and see.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Saw JV saturday night, he didn't look any skinnier to me...

And people said he was on a mission before the 04 season as well, so you never know.

9. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

Well if he goes back to his 04' and 05' self this year I don't want to see him even close to the field. I would play the freshman when he starts to be a liability out there.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

By the way, I think this is the 3rd year in a row I'm predicting the WRs to have a breakout year... Third times the charm, right?