Who will "Spy" Cam Newton?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 18, 2010.

1. ScottforJC

ScottforJC It's never over until God says its over-Sid Ortis

I like it.

I know it takes a big guy like 11 to take him head on, but I like the idea of Tyrann buzzing him like an annoying fly -- lock around his ankles and he's going down like a redwood.

Mix it up on a spy, stack the box with containment in mind, stunt one DB through the gaps, around the ends, you name it and then hope we can cover them with man-to-man.

:geaux:

2. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

The secondary is going to be vital to the front seven's success. Auburn has a good O-line so the D-line will have to work hard. But the secondary will have to stay disciplined because there receivers will look to find soft spots in coverage. They have routes, but I'd assume they know our secondary can and will hang with them in coverage so they'll find the soft spot and wait on Mr. Newton to work his magic and either find them or tuck it so they know to turn and block. They have to be disciplined so the front 7 has ample opportunity to make a play.

Hydration will be THE most important factor. Our D will be on the move more in this game than any other all year save for Ole Miss with Masoli. I would assume Auburn will run some no huddle to keep us from subbing as much but who knows. All the D-linemen will play and play substantially. I'm really worried about Peterson and cramping.

Containment is the word of the day...and if you can't wrap up the tackle grab an ankle. The way our D swarms to the football, I think we'll be fine. I've seen nothing from Auburn's defense that scares me, even considering our offensive woes. Both might surprise me.

3. chewie

chewie Glitched

It'll be fundamentally sound football that will win us this game. Sure tackling, no blown assignments, and an aggressively called game on defense will go a long way towards containing Cam Newton. I think we get enough first downs to be up going into the 4th quarter, where their fatigue from weeks past will catch up with them. :lsup: wins 27-20

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

You don't "spy" him... You line up and play D. If your D is worth a damn you should have 3 guys hitting him as he tries to cross the line of scrimmage.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I hope we use Baker as the main spy with his speed but can't go wrong with Sheppard either. Remember, Sheppard can play all the LB spots so look for shuffling and mixing up the spy. Actually Chavis makes sure all the LBs can play every spot.

6. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

I like this set up. Mingo and Baker should be quick and strong enough to take Cam down. We should mix it up though with the 3-4 and 4-3 changing throughout the game. Keep our guys from getting winded.

7. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

The best way to handle a guy like Cam Newton is keep him off the field. Plan and simple our Offense has to have one great day, with long sustained drives. Turnovers on offense will be magnified by 100, as our D tires down, Newton will start to hurt us more.

Keep him off the field, keep the D rested. And we win.

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I was thinking along the same lines. Bakers speed will help neutralize the run threat. However, with Newton's size also being a factor, you need a big guy.

All I'm saying is that if Texas can contain Martinez, then we should be able to contain Newton.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Good point, but realistically, I don't see that happening. AU is going to put 11 in the box and dare us to beat them throwing.

And although Kelvin is as fast sideline to sideline as any MLB in the country, I think it's going to take more than one person to 'spy' on Newton. What about #11 and #14?

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

No, you have to spy a guy like Newton.

If you don't, you'll pay.

We're talking about him taking off from the pocket on a pass play. Most D-lines aren't athletic enough to track him down and stop him before getting into a potentially open field. We might be able to here and there (because we are just that talented on the D-line), but there will be times he gets out into the open and can wreak havoc. Sheppard needs to be able to track him down before he does. That's probably the only damage Auburn can exact on our defense.